Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

125 or 150?

Discussion in 'Scooters' at netrider.net.au started by dreamr, Mar 9, 2007.

1. Hi All

I would appreciate your input on this:
    Is the difference between a 125 and a 150 real worth the xtra $$$?

Thanks

2. Bigger the better..? Always worth it :cool:

3. Thanks for the quick reply.
    My heart says 500+ but my pocket ranges towards 100.. :(

So the xtra 25cc will make a difference that you'd notice? I am totally ignorant (as if you didn't notice that already!) so I am looking at every bit of info I can find. In what way will it affect performance?

4. I had a test ride on an Arriba 125 this afternoon, and ordered the 150 straight away. Only had it up to about 90km/h, because it wasn't run in, but the dealer told me both would reach 110km/h. I figured an extra 25cc would make a significant difference, and considering the 150cc version came with a free top box, the price difference ends up being about $400.

But then, my CB250N isn't fast enough for me.

5. Can't see what state you are in. If Vic, then going from 125 to 150cc incurs the $50 safety levy in the registration fees I believe.

I rode a 125cc for the first 12 months then traded up to a 250cc scoot (the X8). IMHO a 125cc will do 80kph in all conditions, but will only achieve 100kph in stock form if 2 of the following 3 conditions apply:
    1. tailwind
    2. downhill
    3. optimistic speedo that reads 10kph over true speed

A stock 150cc will do 100kph more comfortably but might struggle sometimes.

I started on a 125cc because of budget and that it was an experiment to see if two wheel commuting was feasible for me. Please don't forget to add the cost of essential safety gear into your overall budget.

Dave

6. Definitely go for the 150, my wife recently purchased Bolwell EuroMX 150. She could easily do 110km/h on he freeway, even managed to keep up with me on my GPX 250R.

7. thanks every-one!

Dave I have allocated $700 towards safety gear -I hope that will cover the initial stuff. I was thinking fullface helmet, jacket gloves to start then later maybe boots and pants. I will look a sight but I reckon if I buy quality it will last a while. Having come off years ago on a bike I know what a HUGE difference it makes. Bruises are better than skin grafts :LOL:

8. i have a 125 n it has no problems reaching 100ks. can actually go alot faster than that. i had a 250 as well n im loving the 125 more.

9. A year ago when I was buying my scoot the choice was finally between a Daelim 125 (new) and an Italjet Torpedo 150 (used), about the same on road price. The Daelim sounded tinny and couldn't to hold 90 on long uphill stretches, which is important, cos that's part of my commute. The Italjet (Piaggio motor) felt more assured and the extra grunt of the 25cc was noticable. I got the Italjet.

On gear, my philosophy is if you can't afford the safety, you can't afford to ride. Gear up, use it. Looks like you've already got that message, though!

Have fun!

- Guran

10. ive riden both, i dont think there was a huge difference between a 125 and a 150, but i would probably go the 150, just in case!

11. My girlfriend has a 125 montego - its a fair bit slower than the 150cc espresso or similar, and i'd have to recommend the 150. It might not sound like much but it equates to a roughly 10-15km/h higher top speed and a whole lot more fun. Then again, if youre only going to be going 70 or less a 125 would do fine.

12. I have owned a 2005 bolwell arriba 125 for over a year now and it is great. Was initially going to buy the tgb voodoo 150cc, but found the arriba 125cc went better (smoother), and the build quality seemed alot better on the bolwell(made in Taiwan as opposed to Korea.) I stepped down from a 1000cc vtr Honda, and I really dont miss it too much. I weigh 85kg and find that the 125 will do 100kmh without too much problem on the flat with a little in reserve (maybe 10-15kmh) but is very happy on about 80kmh. Ive seen these for $3600 + onroads at a few places, which is great value.

13. I started about two years back on a Bolwell Le Grande (170.2cc), and as I got hooked on scootering I started riding to work each day on the freeway. The Le Grande would do about 115 kph flat to the boards, but at 100k acceleration is very slow, and I had a few brown trouser moments not being able to get out of way quickly.

If you see yourself traveling in high speed peak hour traffic, get the highest power scoot you can afford. If only for inner city work, a 125 would be just fine.

I am part of a local online group (melbournescooter.org) and a large number of people have traded up to a larger scoot within the first two years. The depreciation loss on a trade in is much greater than buying a larger scooter to start with.

I never originally saw myself riding the freeways, but now I am hooked and I have upgraded to a Burgman 400, which is a rip snorter highway machine.

Martin.

14. Got myself a TGB 150 - woohoo! It is great! I leave cars sitting at the lights, no problem and keeping 60kph has been a breeze. I dont have the experience yet to go on the great open roads and push her but I am very happy to have it for a town commute.

15. +1 Bolwell, it is very well build and reckon it is best value in the market. :grin: (cf crappy china-made scooters Vmoto and the like)