Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1200 sports

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by ibast, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Is it just me or is Moto Guzzi trying it's damnedest to not sell bikes in Australia.

http://www.motoguzzi.com.au/1200sport.html

I haven't heard anything about this bike and on spec it's got to be one of the most appropriate guzzis for Australia since the Lemans mk. VI

And the price!

2. ENGINE

Type : 90° V-Twin, 4 stroke
    Cooling system : air cooling
    Displacement : 1,151 cc
    Bore and stroke : 95 x 81.2 mm
    Compression ratio : 9.8 : 1
    Timing system : intake open 24° B.T.D.C.
    intake close 52° A.B.D.C.
    exhaust open 54° B.B.D.C.
    exhaust close 22° A.T.D.C.
    with valve clearance 1.5 mm
    Maximum power : over 70 kW (95 HP) at 7,800 rpm
    Maximum torque : over 100 Nm at 6,000 rpm
    Fuel injection system / Ignition : Magneti Marelli IAW5A, a-n type; 2 Ø 45 mm throttle bodies, Weber IWP 162 injectors, Lambda control, twin spark ignition
    Spark plug : internal NGK PMR8B (Long Life)
    Spark plug : external NGK BPR6ES
    Starting : electric
    Exhaust system : stainless steel, 2 into 1 type with catalytic converter, height-adjustable muffler
    Homologation : Euro 3

TRANSMISSION

Gears : 6 speed
    Internal ratios : 1^ 17/38 = 1 : 2.235
    : 2^ 20/34 = 1 : 1.700
    : 3^ 23/31 = 1 : 1.347
    : 4^ 26/29 = 1 : 1.115
    : 5^ 31/30 = 1 : 0.967
    : 6^ 29/25 = 1 : 0.862
    Lubrication : splash
    Primary drive : helical teeth, ratio 24/35 = 1 : 1.458
    Secondary drive : Compact Reactive Shaft Drive CA.R.C.; double universal joint with floating bevel gear, ratio 12/44 = 1 : 3.666
    Clutch : double disk, dry

CHASSIS

Frame : tubular cradle, high tensile steel
    Wheelbase : 1,485 mm
    Trail : 120 mm
    Rake : 25°
    Steering angle : 32°
    Front suspension : telescopic hydraulic fork with Ø 45 mm and TIN surface treatment, preload adjustable
    Front wheel travel : 120 mm
    Rear suspension : single arm suspension with progressive linkage, rear shock absorber adjustable in rebound and pre-load (hydraulic)
    Rear wheel travel : 140 mm
    Front brake : twin stainless steel floating disc, wave type, Ø 320 mm, 4 opposed pistons
    Rear brake : single steel fixed disc, Ø 282 mm, floating caliper with 2 parallel pistons
    Wheels : three spokes, light alloy wheels, gravity die-casting
    Front wheel : 3.50†x 17â€
    Rear wheel : 5.50†x 17â€
    Front tyre : 120/70 ZR17â€
    Rear tyre : 180/55 ZR17â€

ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT

Voltage : 12 V
    Battery : 12 V – 18 Ah
    Alternator : 12 V – 550 W

DIMENSIONS

Length : 2,195 mm
    Width (handlebars) : 840 mm
    Height (windshield) : 1,160 mm
    Seat height : 800 mm
    Minimum ground clearance : 185 mm
    Dry weight : 229 kg
    Fuel tank capacity : 23 litres
    Reserve : 4 litres

1200h.

3. I actually don't mind it! I love the side by side V-twin engine, it just looks beautiful. As for the price, they are pretty much in line with other Italian manufacturers such as Aprilla yes?

Around 5 or 6 years ago didn't Moto Guzzi only do cruiser style bikes? I like their sportier ones they are doing now.

4. Wash your mouth out. Guzzi have always built sports bikes. Even their cruisers are fast by cruiser standards.

For a 9whatever or a rsv, which are cutting edge performance bikes you could understand paying $20k plus, but for a bike like this?

I really like the look of it and I really like the concept, but even if I was looking to spend it $18k would pull me up.

My guess is they would sell around 5 time the number at that price.

5. Guzzi's have something else...

You can't compare it to an RSV or a 999. The Guzzi's not a real sports bike in that sense. Too heavy for the track. It's a great real road sports bike.

I think 21'990 is fine for the quality and performance. They hold their resale in an impressive way too.

I'd really like an 850 Griso or Breva, but that's really overpriced. The 750 is well priced but way too underpowered, and the 850 is powerfull but way overpriced.

6. I thought, yeah, I could ride that. Pretty close in looks to my S2R1k, and similar numbers (95hp, ~100Nm), aircooled twin. It's a few thousand more ($16.5k for the Duc vs. $21k for the Guzzi).

Dunno if I'd stretch all the way, but yeah, keen looking bike, in a Guzzi way.

7. You call that a few??

Oh, and it's 10 bucks shy of $22k, without on roads...

8. It was a sarcastic few. I'm quoting the price for the S2R1k minus onroads, as well.

At $18k I'd definately be interested... would maybe consider buying it had I not got the Monster, but at the same time... I wouldn't change to it, even at $18k.

9. I doubt the price problem is with Motoguzzi themselves. In Europe, they usually sell at something similar to the Jap bikes.
    Just like all the other small Australian distributors of European bikes (except Triumph), the local Guzzi mob are trying to cash in big time on Euro "style" and "exclusivity".
    Can't really blame them in a way, as the market is always going to be small, and they probably need the big margins to cover overheads.
    Triumph, on the other hand have tried (with a degree of success) to go head to head with the Japs on price. Ducati can get away with higher prices because of their dedication to styling and a unique engineering approach.
    I can't help but think ,though that some of the Euro importer have got the pricing factor very wrong in Australia, and would probably do better by trying to move more units at a more realistic ticket. Guzzi, KTM (the twins, anyway) and MV spring to mind.