Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1100 Virago No Go

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Oldboy69, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Hi All.
    I am wondering if anyone can help[ me. I have a 1996 XV 1100 Virago that has been perfect. Now out of the blue, it will not start. There is plenty of fuel, good spark but all it will do is crank over and every now and then backfire. Has been faultless until this. Anyone have any ideas. Thanks in anticipation.

2. Have you done anything to it before this happened?
  3. Any change/evemt leading up to this?
    Sounds like either timing is out or plug leads on wrong cylinders.
  4. Absolutely untouched. Timing was my thought too. How would the timing go out without even touching it.
  5. Carburettor connection to cylinder come loose? I did this when service mine and it didn't want to run afterwards.
  6. Fuel getting to the cylinders? Pull a plug after cranking and check.
    Choke operates?
    Tank vent issue try starting with the filler cap cracked open.

Good luck.
  7. Where is the 'plenty of fuel', in the tank or in the carbs? Might be worth checking the carbs to make sure the fuel is getting there from the tank.
  8. well to start simple
    battery always blame battery first.
    speed of turnover etc.

then ok you checked spark so ur no
    i would the try a areostart / start ya bastard
    to eliminate fuel
  9. spark plus fuel plus compression
  10. Ok. Plugs replaced today on the off chance one was faulty. Hit the start button and she roared in to life. So much for the Platinum Plugs that had done only 1500 klms. Thanks for all the suggestions. Much appreciated.
  11. That'd odd, you'd think a set of good spark plugs would do a lot better than that.
  12. That is strange. You should get 20 000 out of a set of plugs. At least it works now.
  13. Was the tip and electrode still attached to the plug?

Certainly not unheard of for one or the other to detach, especially with a certain German brand of platinum plugs.