Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

10yo 250 upgrade to new bike... How will I know which to get!?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by dangerous_daveo, Nov 18, 2009.

1. So to put forward my potential predicament....

Going from the bike I have now being a '99 VTR250, which well has had its 10 years of other learners on it... To a new bike, probably a 600-1000 naked of some description.

So going through all the motorbike mag reviews, user reviews, and 'which bike out of these ones' threads, one answer seems to constantly pop up. Buy the bike that feels the best to you, or which one you want.

My question is, if I'm going from a 10yo claped out slow bike, to something brand spankers, how the hell am I'm going to know which one I want, they are all going to feel awesomely better than what I have now (or at least I would think) and then 6 months down the track I start thinking hmmm this just isn't right, I should have spent more and got 'x' bike instead, that has better brakes, adj suspension etc.

The other thing to think of is, a dealer is hardly going to give me a half day test ride when I'm rocking up on an old learner scarred bike. I would be thinking 30mins would be a push, by which stage I'd JUST be getting used to having a tacho!

So am I getting worked up over nothing, will it be an easy choice. Or am I going to be stuffed, and just hope I get lucky and get the right bike!

Given I won't be ever riding anywhere near flat out on the street, and doing 300kmh doesn't really intrest me at all, and I very much intend on keeping the bike for 5years. I guess the question is, for example my shorted bikes might be a Suzi GSR600 ($10k or close enough to) or a Street Triple ($15k ish). Spaced over 5 years an extra $1k pa is pretty cheap, but if I don't need to spend it, then I'd rather not.

Sorry all for the essay of a question. But I'm about a month off the upgrade and its going to go very quickly, so I really need to be nutting all this stuff out.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Have a test ride on as many as you can. Some might be obviously wrong, with bad ergonomics for you or how your ride. Some might have a spread of power that you disagree with, or a gear selector that you find isn't as good as the others. Hell, you might simply find that you want a bike for some reason you can't explain...you just want the thing!

These are all fine reasons to fault a bike, but not without riding it yourself. Give yourself a step ahead and go ride them. Alternatively, do what I did and buy something approaching 30 years old with a few easy technical hassles. Not recommended for the technically challenged, but a very rewarding (and cheap) way to get a bigger bike.

Cheers mate - boingk
  3. Toss a coin between the two on your short list.

Buy it.

Then just keep telling yourself how awesome your bike is.

4. Coming off restrictions heaps of dealers let me test ride. Just have a stick with a whole bunch and watch them talk you into that new R1/GSXR/ZXR/CBR 600-1000 :LOL:
  5. when you hope on remember you aren't comparing them to the vtr you are comparing it to the other large bike you first hoped off, how did you find the brakes, suspension, motor, seating position etc...how did you decide on the 250??? Did you out grow it in 6 months, if the answer is no (which i assume it will be) how do you think you will out grow something with twice the go and stopping power of the vtr.... most modern bikes have enough adjustable parts to keep most road riders happy.

Good luck and we want pics
  6. get as many test rides as possible. even you you aren't sure about the bike get yourself a test drive and confirm that you don't want it.

make sure to post pics when you decide too.
  7. Hi,

Just thought i'd put in my 2 cents worth... Don't get a 600cc bike. Go for something in a 750. Yo uwon't get bored with it a quickly and its worth the extra $1500 or so.

8. Yeppers. Gixxer 750. Arguably the best all-round bike on the market today. Same size as a 600, but you don't have the rev the guts out of it to get it going. Nearly as fast as a 1000 but more controllable. What's not to like?

Looks damn good, too.
  9. I agree on the test ride thing, but I've found it difficult to organise test rides myself. Whenever I go bike shopping in Syd, it seems nobody has a bike prepared for demo's and test rides. I myself was chopping up between the Versys, V-strom, 660 Tenere, and the KLR, and yet nobody has anything ready to ride around.
  10. Do some calling ahead to places and ask if you can arrange a test ride - that way they'll know you're not just popping in for a tyrekick and thrash.

And don't limit yourself to new bikes.

You're essentially saying that given you've only ridden the vtr that you won't have the experience to judge which bike has better components, etc. when test riding. If you do go sports, the handling and power will be hugely past your capabilities - no matter which one you get they're all excellent.

Instead, the test ride for you is more about which you LIKE the most.

Based on what you're looking at, some others I'd suggest to check out ... sv650n/s, er6f/n, z750/1000, cb900, speed tripple 1050. If you intend on keeping it for 5 years or so, the smaller ones may become boring (for lack of a better word) if you're inclined to push it. Hence why buying used opens up more opportunities.
  11. Thanks for the coments everyone. Somewhat helpful.

In terms of buying new, there is a fair chance I might not. But I guess I don't think that I should go waste private sellers time time going testing their bikes. Dealers obvioulsy have that built in to their costs etc, and they are covered with insurance better.

I think I'm more so thinking whatever I get on the power will be just so much more I'll get giddy and giggly and may not think straight :p
  12. You know the old method though, its not the speed of the bike, its the speed of the rider ;) an SV650 is an awesome choice, not the most powerful, but a great roadcrafting bike. Still, stick on a slip-on and let that v-twin growl ;)