Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

100bhp limit threat [EU]

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Farab, Mar 8, 2010.

1. How long before this becomes real and trickles downunder?

100bhp limit threat

By Steve Farrell -

General news

05 March 2010 17:11

Motorcycles could be subjected to 100bhp power limits under proposals to be set out by the European Commission this summer.

The Commission is expected to propose European-wide consistency on the issue, raising the prospect that countries will have to change in line with France, where a 100bhp limit is already in place.

The Department for Transport (DfT) has asked UK motorcycle groups for opinions on the plans in anticipation of the consultation.

A spokesman for the Motor Cycle Action Group (MAG) said: “The DfT has been asking us for our opinion on this and we’ve very clearly come out against a power limit for the UK.”

He said the proposals were also likely to include ABS for all new bikes. “A 100bhp limit is back on the EU agenda as part of a package of fresh controls which includes mandatory ABS.”

A draft version of the proposals published last year said of the current inconsistency between countries: “This creates a situation where a motorcycle above 74 kW [100bhp] type-approved in one country is refused in another one. This type of situation is not in line with the spirit of the internal market.

“On the other hand, it emerged from dedicated studies that the link between engine power and increase of safety cannot be demonstrated. Based on this, the Commission intends to propose an harmonisation of the EC legislation on that matter.”
  2. this is sad.how about cars, trucks ...

people will kill themselves someway
  3. #3 Takamii, Mar 8, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 13, 2015
    Means older bikes will go up in value as it could not be made to be retrospective

The EU and its bilderberg politicians are not my elected government

nor are they most of europes as explained here by Nigel Farage ( tis guy rocks - calls it as he and most people see it )

and here

4. wow... what a thievery of freedom. Who cares what size your engine is. Doesnt mean you have to use it, or that anyone should care. Dangerous drivers/riders will kill themselves or others no matter the size of their engine.
  5. Bureaucracy vs democracy.

Nigel Farage has hit the nail right on the head. This is the same sort of thing happening here in Victoria.

Vote 1 for Nigel Farage. Where can I get a tshirt?
  6. Nigel Farage is an arse hat his entire stance in the European Parliament is attempt to get chucked out so he can use it in his attempt to be the first UKIP member of the UK Parliament...
  7. This has been in the wind for more than 20 years to my knowledge. Thanks to strong lobby groups and a substantial bike industry in at least three Euro countries (significantly, not France), it ain't happened yet. I'm not about to start panicking.

If it does, I think it might be time for a full on motard or a wacky 70s/80s stroker. Well under 100 bhp and yet still completely barking.
  8. the next trick will be to pull off a bike with 99 bhp from idle to redline. an electric might do the trick.
  9. It's happened before. The 1991 Kawasaki ZXR750 was restricted to 100 hp in anticipation of the European 100 HP limit.........which never eventuated. Dunno why it didn't happen however I guess the manufactureres/interest groups succesfully argued against the introduction that time and they should probably use the same arguments against the idea again.
  10. All the 100 bhp restricted UK bikes were part of a gentlemen's agreement. It was never actually law.

As I hinted, the UK, Italy and Germany all have substantial bike industries, all of which make a lot of 100 bhp+ bikes. Like it or not, money talks and those manufacturers have plenty. There will be a fight over this and it's a fight that has been won before.

Mind you, my inner conspiracy theorist does wonder whether it's just a bit too opportune that this comes up in the wake of the GFC, when significantly fewer people will be buying Duke 1098s and BMW S1000RRRRRRRS than might otherwise.............
  11. I hope this doesn't happen. I have dreams of an RSV4....

But whilst people may not be buying right now, it is not going to always be this way. Also, there is several recent designs that the companies have spent a lot on, the RSV4 and S1000RR, not to mention the new Agusta F4 coming out. I am sure these manufacturers would have something to say about limiting bikes to 100hp.

12. I find this truly amazing...

What sort of internal spirit are they talking about ?!! France goes off and imposes its 100bhp limit and then expects everyone to follow citing we are the EU...our laws should be standardised ?

Why don't they abolish their stupid restriction...and then there will be internal harmony across all EU states again.
  13. I think you'll find that's normally the reason it never actually gets past...
  14. People would come up with some very ingenious ways to lose weight if that did happen.

I doubt it will though.
  15. meh, really i couldn't really care, i can barely use all of the 110 or whatever the sv has atm, losing 10 or 20bhp won't effect what i love about motorcycles and that is cornering speed, but i can understand there are those that love the top end rush you get from the big hp figures.

Still doubt it will happen worldwide, though i wouldn't count out Australia trying to bring in some sort of limit to keep us safe
  16. Haha, only idiots would bring this out here if they don't like motorcycles.

100hp and up is mainly large sports bikes.

Can them, and a bunch of us will switch to motards and adventure bikes... then instead of speeding, we'll be riding over roundabouts, up gutters, through parks, across nature-strips and generally wherever the hell we want.

I'm sure they'll love that.
  17. Won't happen unless there's money in it for someone.
  18. Sounds like it's time to trot this out again:

- - - - - - -

Height Kills By Andrew Bent
    The traffic engineer was quite pleased with himself, he had finally managed to stop the local bus drivers trying to take their double deckers under the low bridge under the railway, so Councillor Prescott might finally concede that he knew what he was doing. But as he entered Prescott's office he saw that the councillor was in an ominously thoughtful mood.

'I see we've had a reduction in accidents in Railway Terrace' said Mr Prescott, 'Yes' said the engineer, anxious to demonstrate his success, 'You see I did a survey and found that the maximum safe height under the bridge was 12'2", so I arranged for some warning signs to stop anyone taking a vehicle more than 12' high...'

But the Councillor had already lost interest.

'I've been studying some statistics'
    said the Councillor (the engineer winced, Councillor Prescott's grasp of mathematics was notoriously shaky) 'and it seems that when those new warning signs went up the average height of vehicles using Railway Terrace fell by 9 inches',

'Well, yes..' replied the engineer,

'and accidents dropped by 18%'
    continued the Councillor triumphantly'. The traffic engineer tried to figure out where this was leading, 'Do you realise what this means? Every inch of average height reduction leads to a 2% reduction in accidents! All we have to do is alter the warning signs to read 11' and accidents will drop by another 24%!'

His head spinning, the traffic engineer tried to reason with the Councillor, 'but if a 12 foot vehicle can get through perfectly safely, what is the point in imposing extra restrictions?' Councillor Prescott was having none of this, 'you don't seem to understand, Height Kills, if every inch of height reduction causes a 2% drop in accidents, surely we must have a height limit reduction program, let's speak to the bus company and see if they can lower the single deckers somehow.'

The traffic engineer thought quickly, there was no point in trying to explain the facts, Councillor Prescott always regarded knowledge of road traffic and accident causation a fatal disqualification for making decisions on the subject, but there was a possible way to turn the situation to advantage. 'There is another low bridge, under the disused railway in Beeching Close, where lorries do sometimes get stuck, but I haven't had the funds to tackle the problem before, I suggest that should be the first priority for the height reduction program'.

Councillor Prescott agreed and the traffic engineer set off for Beeching Close with measuring rod in hand.

At first it wasn't clear why there was a problem at this particular bridge, there was already a height restriction of 7 feet, so why on earth were drivers ignoring it? After an examination of the bridge the reason became clear, the maximum safe height was over 14 feet.

On receiving a recommendation that the 7 foot height limit was unrealistic and should be raised, Councillor Prescott was apoplectic, 'lorries are getting stuck because they are too high' he yelled, 'surely the limit needs to be lowered'. The engineer tried to point out that it was precisely because the limit was obviously ludicrous that it was being ignored, and that raising the limit would increase compliance, but the Councillor did not understand.

'In Railway Terrace, reducing the height reduced accidents, therefore Height Kills'
    he argued, 'surely raising the limit in Beeching Close will increase average heights, therefore increase accidents,'

'But it isn't the average height that matters'
    the engineer tried to point out, 'a 14 foot limit will be taken seriously and will reduce instances of excessive height, therefore reduce accidents, whether the average goes up or down is totally beside the point'.

'But Height Kills'
    bellowed the Councillor, 'no it doesn't' the engineer bellowed back, of course he should have said 'not necessarily' but this is not an easy thing to bellow.

'How can you say height didn't cause this?' Councillor Prescott produced a press photo of the mangled remains of a double decker wedged under the Railway Terrace bridge and dropped it on the desk with the air of one producing the ace of trumps.

'The point was that the height was excessive for the situation, it is excessive height that causes the problem, not height itself' the engineer protested, but the Councillor wasn't listening, 'I've already decided to introduce a height reduction program, reducing all existing height limits by a foot, if this succeeds in reducing heights, I'll introduce a host of new height limits, if it doesn't I'll reduce the limits further until it does....'

The engineer stopped listening; once Councillor Prescott had made up his mind, there was no point in giving him the facts.
  19. You can imagine the cruel temptation offered to me by a 125rwhp adventure bike, every single time I commute to work. :)