Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1000RR Fireblade 2004 issue, Loud Bang and Smoke

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by wobbler, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Hi All,

I recently went on an overnight trip and the bike had a hissy fit.

I'd pulled up at a set of temp traffic lights at road works and turned the bike off.

After a couple of minutes it was time to go so i hit the start button and at the instant a loud bang came from the engine follow by a larger cloud of blue some. ( a thousand things went through my mind and none good ).

The smoke came out both sides of the fairing and was a short puff. for the want of a better description.

I pushed it off the road and did a quick inspection no oil so after a short time I fired it up and and for the next two days never missed a beat.

Has anyone else had this happen and if so what was the cause ?

2. Regulator/rectifier anyone?
  3. I'd get the fairings off asap. look for the melted things.
  4. im not that familiar with your bike but maybe a backfire out the inlet has smoked some oil in the bottom of the air box.
  5. Regulator/Rectifier = electrical ( burning plastic ) smell

Backfire thru the airbox = burning oil smell
  6. Reg/recs, while they're a common problem with Hondas, don't make a BANG noise. I don't have any better ideas for you though.
  7. wollongong wobbler?
  8. Hasn't happened to mine but look at your header gaskets to see if there still there :?
  9. Granted but could they not interrupt the ignition sequence and cause a backfire?
  10. Unlikely, they just cause (usually a fairly mild) under-charge or overcharge of the battery while the bike's running.
  11. I'd be going with the backfire as a result of shutting down.

could indicate a small fuel leak or any number of things
  12. Thanks for the advice.

It only happened once and it's still running like a dream. No strange smells coming from the engine area.

I've done about 700 k's since so i suspect it may have had a gut full of fumes.

I MAY have given it some throttle when i hit the start button. It's a habit I have from starting the 1987 GPX 250. no auto choke on the old girl.