Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1000kms Hyosung update

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' at netrider.net.au started by matti-san, Feb 22, 2006.

1. Hi all, promised I would share my thoughts after 1000kms on my new bike.

Background: Total newbie no previous bike experience.
    Bike: Hyosung GT250 Naked standard

Well one of the main reasons I bought this bike was the size, it fits me well and am I glad that I didn't buy a smaller bike as I even get cramps on this one.

I have seen a lot of people say the brakes are wooden, well they seem to work fine except for an annoying noise from the back but I agree they are a bit flat. :(

Engine power, well it's a 250 and suffice to say it has enough power for a learner but I am already wanting more. :LOL: :LOL:

How does it run, everything has worked well since i got except for two things. :(

Neutral I am sure my bike came with it but damned if I can find it all the time. Although I have found it twice charging from the lights changing from 1st to 2nd :oops:

Flat spot at about 5,500RPM, this is the most annoying thing so far. Accelerates nicely, hits 5000 acceleration slows, hits 6000 sling shot effect.

Oh and black paint scratches real easy. :!:

Will give everyone an update after a few more kms and service.

2. Hello Matti,

I too have a Hyosung GT250. Had it just over 2 months now and have clocked up just over 6500kms. I do at least 600kms per week on it and at that rate (assuming I get it serviced every 4000km) it needs a service every 6.5 weeks. :cry:

I agree with you in regard to engine power, its ok for a 250 but I would like a bit more. It struggles on the freeway in a headwind.

I haven't had any problems with it, however I have experienced the two you mention. It is a bit disconcerting to change from 1st to 2nd after taking off at the lights only to hear the engine roar as you find yourself in neutral. I just try to make sure I have really kicked the lever up into 2nd.

The flat spot is a known problem. Have a look at this site/forum.

http://korider.com/PHP-Nuke/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=376

I only ever noticed it in 3rd gear between 4500 and 6000 rpm. I found it bit dangerous as I had no power in 3rd gear when doing about 50-60kph. Anyway I told them about it at the last service and they fixed it by simply cutting the appropriate wire on the CDI. :grin:
    So tell them at your next service, or try cutting it yourself.

I do have one question for all the other Hyosung owners out there...what brand and RON rating of petrol are you finding works best with the Hyosungs?

Smaca

3. Catches neutral from first to second gear.
    Some bikes do this, it's not unheard of.
    The solution is to keep your toe pressing the gear stick upwards until you have let the clutch completly out.
    Click up from first into second, keep toe pressure upwards, clutch out all the way. I think you will find that this will fix that problem.

4. Neutral ey, my kawasaki had.........from memory, 18 neutrals :grin:

You really need to kick the bastard into gear.
    Dont be gentle with it, really give it a decent push when changing gears.

As for the flat spot, the SP1 had a flapper in the ram air nose cone that shut under vacuum and caused a dip in power, disconnected the vacuum hose and all was good again. Shame ya gotta cut wires.

5. Hi guys, with the neutral between gears, see if you can adjust the gear lever to lower it closer to your foot. I had the same problem on my across, made the adjustment, and now no neutrals between gear changes.
    cheers

6. thanks one and all, yep a good kick in the guts gets it into neutral everytime, guess I need to concentrate more!

7. Im wondering if this is an issue in all hyosung models, I have the problem with my GT250R, must remember to mention it when I go for next service. Doesnt bother me all that much, I just have to give it a bit more throttle to get through it.

8. Hi guys, another Vic newbie here. I just bought a 2nd hand GT250 Comet and have already found N a few times. Bike seems great in general for me getting the feel of the road again after 15yrs off. I am however having issues with getting my big hoof(size 46 or 11.5) under the gear lever which is making gear selection a bit awkward. I believe I can get a longer lever, which I will have to look into I think.

9. Welcome to the forum, nice bike. I have size 46 feet and have no real dramas, are you wearing bike boots??

10. I couldn't find neutral in mine either. I was told to turn the bike off, then it's easier.
    Low and behold, i turn the bike off turn it so the dash lights are on and bingo!
    Neutral first time everytime. :grin:

11. I'd say the problem you're having with the bike jumping out of gear is 'false neutral'. It's common for noobs, especially on certain Kawasakis whose gearboxes aren't friendly. Mid 90s zx6rs were notorious for it IIRC. Make sure you kick the lever through its full range of motion. Using clutchless up shifts almost eliminates the chance of a false neutral but again these have to be done properly or damage can result. IE right rpm and throttle position, blip the throttle and kick.

12. My bike doesn't do this..... I must be lucky.
    When it has done it, it was because I was being lazy and not lifted much. My gearbox is reaslly good in mine.

13. I dare say your bike isn't doing it because you're using good technique to change gears, as you say the only time it does is when you're lazy with the shifts. This is the crux of 'false neutrals'. It actually comes down to rider error, not crummy gearboxes. In Kawasakis case however, the crummy gearbox exhaserbated the problem. Making even more experienced riders miss shifts.

14. Even more so i think make sure you release the lever fully ffrom the last shift you made before making the next shift - at least on my Hornet it makes a difference.

As an ex motor Mechanic i rarely use the clutch when ddriving around normally, because i have learnt to carefully use the revs to safely change gears, even becoming addept at driving cars with no clutch cables at all when required - not huge fun in traffic :)

Changing up properly without the clucth wont damage anything. downshifting is a little different. :)

15. yep changing from 1st to 2nd it normally only happens when I am not in the moment.

But the biggest issue with neutral is trying to find it on purpose! I have to fart around for ages to find it stopped at the lights or i just sit there with my clutch pulled in. This is killing my hand!

Getting serviced next week, will see how it goes after that.

16. :LOL: this could end up being more of a problem than bird flu! :LOL:

17. I hear talk of clutchless up-shifting quite regularly on this forum, and everyone always says "It's fine so long as you do it right..."

So how do you do it right? What's the proper technique??

18. as you would but without clutching.

19. How informative!!!

I would imaging certain rev ranges, but that would be individual to the bike's gearing.
    I could be wrong, but I think thats what it is.

(You can do it in a car too.... if your good)

20. Just straight to the point, it's not rocket science!

Well i'm not sure what you are alluding to here, ran it through babelfish and was still none the wiser.[/quote]