Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

1000cc Super sports too much from commuting?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by tonee, Jan 19, 2011.

1. The insurance company has decided to pay me out for the accident so now I need to find another bike.

I had a CBR600RR 04, so I thought I'd might as well get something bigger for the next bike. I've sat on some such as the CBR and R1 and ZX-10, they seem to be a bit too wide and too heavy to filter in traffic which is my major concern.

I've also haven't perfect my cornering in twisties yet on the 600, like most people, I'm scared the throttle control around corners would be something hard to learn.

So what do you guys think, 1000cc too much for my use? I'm also considering the best of both worlds...the GSR-R 750.

Another question...

What are GSX-Rs like in terms of quality, reliability and performance? I know Honda has a reputation for reliability and user friendly. I've never really been a fan of them as GSX-Rs(some of you may say Gixxer bRo!) are quite attractive to squids and pro racers of "The slowest Chap-lap" times, but I'm sure they've got alot more potential than that.
  2. have you thought about a mille? Oh, and gsxr's really can't be beat for quality, can be for performance. WRT other sport bikes that is.

But seriously, get a 675.
  3. 675s are comfortable to commute? What about maintenance? Euro cars = $$$$ maintenance but what about bikes?
  4. Search, been covered a shit load on this forum wrt 675's and commuting.
  5. bikes are bikes man, the price is fairly relative to how hard it is to service. Most decent workshops will charge in hours of labour + cost of parts. Unless you own a ducati.

Besides, the BMW in the background suggests you're not overly concerned by euro car servicing prices.
  6. I don't see any issue with a 1000 as a commuter.

I ride a VFR800 everywhere, which is 30kg+ heavier than the average thou sportsbike. It'll be a shit to park compared to a smaller bike but once moving they don't feel heavy anymore.

Just find a couple that look good/sound nice and ask a dealer for a test ride. When you step off take a self portrait.
    Once finished compare the portraits and whichever one shows the biggest smile is clearly the best bike to own.

..unless its a ducati
  7. Is the 1000 any more upright and comfortable than the 600 supersport?

The bigger engine will probably be preferable for you, but at the end of the day its not a commuting machine....
  8. If you value your license stick with a 600 or less. The thou just has a ridiculous amount of power on tap that demands respect.
    Once you have perfected you're cornering on twisties and outgrown a 600 then you can consider a bigger bike. Still you're choice on what you do and good luck with it.
  9. Sounds like you need something in-between ideally. I mean, there are people who put up with the drawbacks of commuting on a litre sportsbike for the advantages of weekend use, but you have to ask yourself if you're willing to be less comfortable 90% of the time to go a tick faster 10% of the time. Finding something that does both jobs very well would be worth your while, IMO. The Speed Triple (the 1050 cc one, not the 675 cc Street Triple) would probably work well for your purposes. I love my Bandit for commuting, but if you want to go a bit harder on the weekends it's less ideal.

Always up to you what you end up doing, but go for the rideability, not the cache of 'I ride a litre sportsbike'. Those who really understand will be more impressed that you picked something that meets your needs anyway.
  10. Why do you need to get a sports bike specifically? If you are only doing road riding and commuting you may well find some of the big nakeds a much better option.
    They wont get left behind by the sports bikes on the road unless the speeds get stupidly high (200kph+). They can actually even be better in real tight and twisty stuff becuase of the wide bars and upright position. Riding position is much more comfortable for long days and provides better visability when commuting.
    Have a think about things like Triumph Speed Triple, Kawasaki Z1000, Aprilia Tuono, KTM Superduke etc. All give big smiles :) I went from a 2005 GSX-R 600 to a 2006 Triumph Speed Triple and I absolutely love it. Best decision I ever made for road riding.
  11. I'd stay away from the 1000s. It will be frustrating, license endangering and rear end probable.

Still the 600 SS isn't the best either, because of their elestic band style power bands.

If sports bikes are your bent, but you want to commute, I'd suggest the 675 or the GSXR750. Both will grunt a bit off the mid range without the stupidity of the 1000.

Still for commuting I'd recommend neither.
  12. The Daytona 675 is a lovely sportsbike, but it has a very 'feet up, arse up' riding position that's not ideal for traffic. That's why I'd suggest something more like the Street or Speed Triple: most of the same capability - and you said yourself you weren't yet stretching the capability of your 600 - but with a much more street-sensible riding position.

I guess one thing to think about might be getting a lightly older GSXR-750, when they were slightly less full-on sportsbike style and seating position - others here would know when the latest ones like that were.
  13. My opinion is they've always been a full on sports bikes. In fact I'd say the opposite, in that with the newer ones the bars are a bit closer and therefore they are more comfortable. Lighter too.
  14. I ride a CBR1000RR to and from work each day (20km round trip) as well as every where else I possibly can and never have any problems getting through traffic, parking etc. They're a fairly compact powerhouse really.

You do have to watch your speed though. They tend to sneak above the speed limit quite easily. ;) Nothing that can't be controlled but you do have to be on the ball 100% of the time and focused on what's going on.

If you would really like/want a 1K sports bike I say go for it mate. If you haven't already, take a couple for a ride and decide which one feels more comfortable to you. Only you can answer this. You've been riding a 600 for a while by the sounds of it so step up to a 1K bike and use it to develop your skills further. No need to rush it though - take your time.
  15. What I wonder is how fast they will square of tyres especially if he commutes using proper sports tyres.
  16. I recently sold my 650 cafe racer and bought an R1.

In my opinion litre sport bikes are definitely not for 9-5 city commuting. Saturday night street cruising is another story. Leave aside seating position, the thing is so frickn loud (gyt-r pipes), its heavy and because I don't have it on wide open throttle when I'm cruising at 60km/h in 2nd gear pulling low revs the exhaust burbles and splutters as though its dumping unused fuel and feels as though I'm harming it...

In my opinion (if I could afford it) I'd have a mild and light bike (a naked 600 or 650) for commuting and the R1 for weekends or for leisure rides.

If you can only afford one bike and love to make it dance on weekends or cruises for leisure and feel like your current bike is underpowered then get a litre sport bike...better too much than not enough.
  17. I specifically want a super sports for the looks and the occasional netrider twisties. I'm used to the riding position on the CBR from doing 70km/day with no pain any more, but I wouldn't go any more aggressive than that.

I see the 675 has been mentioned alot here, but I thought the riding position is really aggressive?
  18. litre sports bike for commuting.....not a problem.

* razor sharp handling
    * proper acceleration
    * awesome brakes
    * light weight compared to the sports touring barges
    * make more than enough power low down
    ( sometimes require mods like Timing Retard Eliminator or 1 tooth less on the front sprocket to get the power where you want it. Commuting, I (mostly) don't use any more than 5-5.5K rpm. )

* hard on the wrists at lower speeds
    * limited luggage attachment opportunities, and I hate/refuse to wear a backpack....just what you need, the jar of pickles your bringing home from the store stabbing you in the back if you come off.....

Overall I have little to complain about...even tyres are not that big an issue.

Use multi compound like Power 2CT's. Toss in a track day every now and again to round them off again and I can get 8-9000 kms out of a set with the front being less around 1/2 worn...but I prefer to change the pair to keep the handling sweet.
  19. Why not buy what you had? You know it works ;)
  20. I think you've just hit the nail square on the head. Agree 100%.

I'm running Michelin Pilot's (multi compound) on mine and so far the wear is quite nice. They've done about 1500k's and no signs of them wearing unevenly. I go for a ride most weekends though which probably helps with wearning evenly.