Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

100 octane fuel

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by something_wild, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Noticed a united station near my house is selling 100 octane fuel, so started filling up my R1 and car (mitsu rvr...basically an EVO 3).
    Curious if anyone else has bothered trying it, and if they've had any change, good/bad/indifferent in the performance of their bike?
    I have to be honest and say that I haven't come to a solid conclusion personally, as both are performing exceptionally well in this cold weather. It's my first winter with the R1 and far out, I thought it boogied when I got it mid Jan, but It's an absolute weapon in the cold! And my car being a turbo always shines in the cold.
    Bike and car are tuned for premium, but not 100grade, so wondering if It's even worth it.....
    Keen to hear others experience.

2. Pretty sure their 100 octane fuel has ethanol = bad, bad, very bad

3. If your bike/car doesnt need it, you wont gain any advantage using it.

Octane rating is a measure of the fuels ability to resist premature detonation under high pressure. Engines running higher compression ratios will require higher octane fuels. Running fuels below that for which your engine was designed can result in engine damage and power loss due to knocking.

If your engine doesn't knock at 90 octane, I wouldnt bother using anything higher as it will just cost more.

4. +1 on this.
    If it's United then it would have 10% Ethanol and is therefore classified as E10 but with a RON of 100. Keep clear of it!

5. Yeah, the best weather for the engine is always the worst weather for riding!

what fuels/ additives provide higher energy density?
    i think this is what people are looking for in more expensive fuels

6. Yup, its 98 RON fuel with 10% ethanol add to it, raising it to RON 100.

Don't use it again, it has less power density, wont improve economy, gives you no power gains are you engine isn't tuned for it and it barely even greener then standard or premium. Not to mention the horrors that can happen with alcohol in the fuel system.

7. Yup ethanol has a much higher RON number at around 108-110 at an expense of much lesser energy density compared to petrol.

The reason for running high RON number is to prevent/reduce knocking, allowing one to crank up boost or compression ratio.

Not much use if the amount of energy you get out of it is lower, isn't it.

8. Some newer cars will re-map their air fuel ratio over the course of a few tanks of higher octane fuel, but if the engine doesn't REQUIRE 98, then you're going to get bugger all gains.

Ethanol + bikes = No!

All engines run better in the cold, because cold air's density helps the atomisation of the fuel to get a bigger bang from the same amount of fuel.

Buy a nitro remote controlled car, and you'll learn about finicky differences in climate REAL quick! \\:D/

9. I always use 98 in my cbr250r,11 because the manual says nothing below 95.

14 bucks to top it up from almost empty, get about 300ks to a tank, which isn't bad for concidering at highway speeds it's not exactly cruising.

I've also been told to stear clear of anything but shell and caltex, and the others use poor refinement.

10. You always hear stuff like that, a lot of people say stay away from Shell. I believe that they're generally equivalent, and in some areas it wouldn't surprise me if they get all of their fuel from the same place. I tend to avoid service stations that I don't like, rather than brands.

The only one I will avoid is United because of their ethanol sh!t, even in my car. But, judging by how busy one of the United's is on the highway back into Darwin, they're doing just fine without me.

11. The two new servos on Todd Rd are both United (used to be Shell), which is a PITA as it is a popular meeting place for rides going west. Now have to fill up beforehand, but if coming up the Monash, there isn't really any opportunity to have a full tank at the take off point unless one leaves the freeway...

Damn it.

12. yeah dont put that junk in your bike, especially if you have a ducati/ktm with funny plastic tank as they deform from ethenol fuels.

bp ultimate is still the best pump 98 octane IMO.

13. people say all sorts of stuff. I say they all get their fuel from the same refineries and share it around some.

14. Hrrmm, ok now I am slightly worried about the ethanol content in their fuel :/
    Will finish this tank and go back to good ol' faithful bp ultimate.
    Hate to think I'm damaging my much loved bike for an extra 2 octane ratings....which in reality is doing nothing lol

15. Do all United fuels have ethanol? http://www.unitedpetroleum.com.au/fuels/home indicates there Premium 95(and Unleaded) may not. Whether the particular servo stocks it is another question.

16. Their 91 does NOT have ethanol. I put it in my bike all the time.

Mobil and caltex both make the stock, untuned engine in my Ute knock.

Shell, united E10 and BP do not.

I've never been game enough to try 7-11, so I can't attest to their go-juice.

17. Can't use 91 in the Z.

18. Even though ethanol has less energy for a given mass it will give you more power as it has a more stable speed of combustion at higher pressures than petrol; more of it needs to be used though to access extra power at the wheels. Ethanol also has a greater viscosity than petrol, so in injection systems
    the injectors need to be larger for 2 reasons. 1. so it can adequately flow the "thicker" fuel and 2. flow more of the fuel to negate the fact that ethanol has less energy per volume/mass. Raising fuel pressure can also be used to increase the flow of ethanol.

In Carburetors jet and needle sizes need to be changed to meet the new requirements of ethanol.

As well as the above the ignition advance curve needs to be changed as well to make ethanol work at its best.

The ethanol in petrol does NOT harm your engine per se. What it does harm is the rubber "O" rings, seals, gaskets, diaphragms etc in the fuel systems of many cars and motor cycles. Ethanol is more likely to have water building up in it than petrol. If the vehicle (also the tanks at the servo) is used regularly and the tank is filled to the very top regularly mitigates water contamination.

Some car and motorcycle manufacturers already have ethanol "proof" rubber in the fuel systems. Check with the manufacturer to see if your machine is so equipped....

19. United 100 and boost 98 gave my old jap Turbo exhaust flame. I loved it :). Wouldn't put it in a bike though

20. You watch too much fast and the furious :p