Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

10 Most Common Reasons for Crashing

Discussion in 'Research, Studies, and Data' started by PeterPorker80, Jul 23, 2013.

• Informative Informative x 3
  1. Great article. Thanks for sharing.
  2. They missed out suicide.

Maybe the folk in the UK are so happy, they don't commit suicide..... I dunno.

Here in Oz, if you hunt down folk involved with mental health stuff and suicide prevention, and ask them, they'll nominate a percentage of the single vehicle motorcycle fatal crashes as being suicide.

Depending on who you ask, that number can vary from 7% to 13%.

This is, actually, a significant number. :(

I know it's a difficult ask, but I'd like some effort put into checking on SVAs, both for motorbikes and cars, so that we don't get too carried away with "road safety" and ignore appropriate responses in the mental health area.

In the same way as increasing road rules doesn't help with crashes by "non-riders", un-registered bikes, un-licenced riders, tightening road rules ain't going to help with folk who actively want to top themselves.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Hmmm seems like 8, 7 and 6 are all sub-categories of 9. Even a lot of of 1 would come down to riding to fast for the conditions.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Seems a pretty fair article to me.

I also love the pic of the greybeard on the combo :D.
  5. All those can be summed up in one reason

1. The rider fcuked up.
  6. Mick, if we didn't all fcuk up there'd be no reason to increase those speed road safety cameras, would there ;)
  7. And if you all stopped crashing then our CTP prices would go down......
  8. Please tell me that was sarcasm, Mick.

You, of all people, couldn't believe that.
  9. Yes it was sarcasm. Well sort of.

Recent discussions with someone re the NSW CTP revealed that the reason why the CTP for 1152cc and up bikes was so much higher was because of the incidents of pillions claiming against the riders insurance after an off.

So, while I don't believe the price would go down, not crashing would remove a major reason not to.
  10. Thank goodness for that, you had me worried there.

The highest green slip prices are for 1125cc to 1325cc, once over that size, the big bikes are a bit cheaper again. Why? Who knows.

Yeah, the bigger bikes are more likely to have a passenger, who, in the event of an accident, probably would claim..... that is the idea of 3rd Party Insurance.

But a bike will likely only have one passenger, as opposed to say a people mover, big SUV or even a "normal" car where a crash can have 3 or more passengers claiming, yet the bike green slip is more expensive. :(

The cost of 3rd Party insurance for motorbikes bears no relationship whatsoever to any logic about claims or costs but are just set by insurance companies on the dog's dick principle, because they can.
  11. Preaching to the choir bloke.

Just passing on what I was told about their 'reasoning'. Which incidentally, they tried to prove by saying there was a 20% rise in claims, which actually translated to 3 extra claims. Because the raw figures are so low they have to quote percentage increases to make it sound bad....

But, the fact remains, if we didn't fall off, or more precisely, if the middle-aged returning motorcyclists wives stopped claiming for twisted ankles they'd have a harder time justifying the price...
  12. Notable that the analysis (UK Stats posted by PeterPorker) has excessive speed as the least factor, yet the authorities peddle the opposite.
    It would be more honest to say, speeding is a factor because it is the only one we can instantly measure.
  13. Measure what is important. Do not make important what you can measure.
  14. unless there is a note, how the fcuk do you determine the cause to be suicide?
  15. I doubt it would be just SVAs. I would say a number of head ons with large vehicles would fall under this category.

But people taking there life this way are trying to make their death look like an accident so there is insurance support for their family and they don't look like they are taking "the easy way out". There would be little way to tell.

I also believe a lot of accidents would fall under people riding like maniacs because they don't care if they live or die.
  16. Yup.

Indeed. It would be very hard to actually prove suicide.

AFAIK, fatal crash investigations don't, typically, include psychiatric reports, or investigations into the victim's state of finances or mental health.

My point is that, a significant number of fatals may well be, in reality, suicides, and no amount of road safety measures are going to make any difference.

In the same way, the number of people killed when riding motorcycles, where they don't have a licence, the bike is not registered or insured, and, often, the rider is pissed, certainly won't be reduced by better licence training, or rules about riding LAMS approved bikes.

So these "non-riders" and the suicides, when they kill themselves get added into the stats to be used against us legal riders to justify more and more regulation.

I know there isn't much anyone can do about it, but I thing more folk should be aware of it.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Plenty can be done about it, but it's the job of addressing depression, not road safety.

On the flip side this and other deliberate accidental deaths also lower the suicide statistics.
  18. I kinda resent this statement I ride a 1200cc tourer, I am neither Middle aged (getting close though) a returning or new rider, I would pillion someone probably once a week, and never had a crash that involved a CTP claim.

In the groups I ride with (other tourers and there partners) not many if any are returning or new riders and most have decades of experience up there sleeves, many just moving to bikes that better suit their needs.

eg. they used to ride mid sized bikes, but now that they have more time for themselves they ride bikes more suitable for traveling.

the statistics also don't seem to support any increase or need to target a the 1100 to 1300 rider group.

fatalities are practically stable and so is injuries, if you look at the increase in the up take in registered bikes and licensed riders the numbers are actually declining on a per head basis.

Riders 40+ are the least represented riders involved in crashes.

Cheapest CTP i can get is around $900 my theory, is the insurance companies have drawn the line between age groups types of bikes and expendable income.

i.e. the middle aged guy with the $30,000 1200-1300cc cruiser and large expendable income can be milked for the higher CTP cost and will probably just pay it.

If the insurance companies actually charged the people involved in the crashes (the under 26's) these exorbitant prices the rate at which motorcycling is taken up would probably decline resulting in a decline in CTP revenue for the insurance companies.
  19. Yes. Sorry, that was what I meant really.

Road safety type actions certainly won't help.