Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

10 great aussie drives

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' started by robbie55, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Came across this in todays SMH. http://smh.drive.com.au/motor-news/our-10-great-australian-drives-20100311-q1ad.html

I know they're car related but I suppose "standard car" could be replaced with sport/tourer and FWD with dirt etc.

I have done any of them in either car or bike. :-({|=

any comments on the ones listed or your list of say top 3 roads?
  2. Too many long, straight, outback roads to have any relevance to motorcycling. GOR is the only one that I have experienced and I think our consensus on this one is that it's a wonderful road spoiled by over-zealous policing of the speed limit and over-crowded with road users who don't know how to use the road.

As far as motorcycling roads are concerned, the Oxley Highway, Mulligan's Gap on the Gwydir Highway, the Dorrigo, Nymboida Highway, and, top of my list, the road from Murwillumbah to Kyogle via Uki. Motorcycling heaven.
  3. A year ago I would have agreed with you RC but there's something about getting out onto the open outback roads and just riding for hours on end that's attractive. I think the difference is that a that that kind of trip isn't about the bike.

It's getting away from it all, right away. It's kinda like having the wind in the hair Easyrider style, but with a full face helmet. There's a freedom to getting that far away from the cities.

I did a 4 day ride last October from here in Rowville, Vic, up to Burke, across to Broken Hill and back home and loved every minute of it (apart from the sore bum and lack of sleep). That trip took in part of one of the drives mentioned in the article. Long straight boring roads maybe but it was a great experience and something I wanted to do again the minute I got back. It's not something you'd generally want to do on a sports bike though. I did it on the Sprint.

This year I'll do a similar ride, just to get away from the big smoke.
  4. The snowy mountains area has some of the best riding roads available, and the best part for me, it takes me no more than 30 minutes to get to the begining of corners.