Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

$1 Million fine for speeding

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Takamii, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Ken Lay looks like a nice guy compared to the Swiss authorities

POLICE in Switzerland said today they had seized a Swedish motorist's $240,000 sports car after he was caught doing 290km/h on a Swiss motorway.

Swiss officials were unable to say if it was a record because they do not keep such nationwide data, but it "looks very close to one," federal roads office spokesman Thomas Rohrbach said.

Police in the western canton of Fribourg said in a statement that the 37 year-old driver had to be stopped by a neighbouring police force last Friday after he shot past a permanent speed trap.

His driving licence and 570-horsepower black Mercedes-Benz were seized after he was released from custody, and he could face a fine of up to one million Swiss francs ($1.050m) depending on his income.

A local magistrate ordered police to keep the car as security pending a likely court ruling and an eventual sentence.

Driving more than 25km/h over the 120km/h-speed limit on motorways in Switzerland is regarded as a criminal offence, and fines are based on a driver's revenue.

The Swedish motorist's alleged speed goes off the scale and the penalty is at the judge's discretion, up to a maximum of 1.08 million Swiss francs for speeding, Mr Rohrbach said.

2. Suspected that'd be the reason. After all, a few hundred dollars means nothing to someone who can afford a $240,000 car, but is potentially devastating to someone who's just scraping by.
  3. True - its the same in Finland -- should we consider ourselves fortunate that we do not have the same here ?
  4. Man I love Europe, so many things they do just make so much sense. Revenue base fines is a great idea.
  5. I'd say no, for the reason I edited into my previous reply. Its fairer to vary it based it on income. The thing to be pissed off about here is not the fines themselves, its that they're thinly disguising a money-making scheme as a safety campaign (in Victoria, at least).
  6. is it really?

why should a guy earning say, 30 thou, pay less than some yuppie earning 300 hundred thou for doing the same speed?

i say ream them both!
  7. I think you missed the point.

If your earning 30k and you get fined 1k, you'd feel that

If your earning 300k you'd have to get fined 10k to 'feel' it the same

Imposing a 10k fine on the gen pop is outrageous, its ridiculous. If your on 300k, you could afford to dish a few 1000$ fines a week or a month and generally flout the law with your cash.

get it?
  8. Exactly, fines are meant to deter you from doing something. Having them in proportion to your income means there's an equal amount of loss for anyone who commits the same offense, regardless of your income.

Our Licenses with the whole points system where everyone has the same amount, and looses the same amount of points for the same offense, is an example of equal deterrence for everyone.

I would be much happier for our government to introduce revenue based fines, than for them to continue the "speeding crackdown" cash grab, which is getting out of hand.
    That way, the government gets the cash flow they from higher fines for the higher earners, low income earners get a kick in the butt when fined but still get a break and the general public doesn't need to be constantly "Big Brothered" about their speed. Everybody wins.
  9. Wouldn't work in Australia... it's only varied against reported income.
  10. Not really, my fines would be a LOT cheaper under this system! :rofl:
  11. It's easy to tell how much pay someone gets by their reaction to this. Bring it on I say, hard to take money off someone who doesn't earn any.
  12. I don't earn a huge amount, but I still disagree with it.

Fines should be a lot less money - but I think if you get X number of speeding fines you should do a driving course. X number of parking fines you should do X days of community service. etc etc. Just like fines for littering, they make you pay money, whereas they should make you do a few months of Saturday litter cleaning up locally.

Money and driving points although make sense to a degree don't actually solve the problem. They don't require people to think about it or to fix the situation etc.

Ramble ramble... meh
  13. Yes, that would better decrease the likelihood of re-offenders. However, the current conversation is more of a "If there are to be fines ____" than a discussion of how best to set up an effective system. The latter can be found in many other places, and plenty of them are right here on NR :p.
  14. ... on learning how to better avoid the police and look for speed cameras

Or copy singapore's idea and make it a criminal offence.
  15. A great idea!. You could work on that and come up with a workable solution to the whole fine issue. Then try and pass it onto groups who may be interested. Councils re the littering / parking, and riding / driving organisations re the road ones. Then they could try and put effort behind it.
  16. I think I just might...
  17. thanks guys :)