Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

09 Street Triple started ticking..?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Scooper74, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Hi all, my street triple has started making a ticking noise, seems to get louder once the bike has warmed up and speeds up as I accelerate. I've been advised that the cause could be the timing chain. Sounds legit but expensive. Anyone else got any other ideas?

2. When you say speeds up when you accelerate, does the same thing happen when the bike is in neutral and you rev the throttle?

Timing chain is a possibility, chain tensioner, exhaust gasket, a few possibilities.

3. how many k on it scoopy?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'm pretty sure you are meant to cut the red wire.... or is it the blue wire??.... the red?? Aaarrggggghhhhhh time is running out!!!!!!! Just cut one of the damn wires!!

Tick, tick, tick....snip...........

Phew..... that was close....... ;-)

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. #5 twistngo, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. I'm not sure about it happening in neutral, I'll test it in the morning

7. yeah, it's getting up there, 50+ I reckon.

8.  Top
  9. Damn, I wanted to ride tomorrow too!

10. #10 twistngo, Jan 23, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
    this is the cam chain noise

don't know if this is working but search on you tube for street triple cam chain noise

11. Your mission should you choose to accept it, is to fork out a shit load of coin on the cam...:whistle:

12. im gonna record it for you guys. does sound like the cam though :(

13. unfortunately I agree,get it checked asap if you do have the manual tensioner give it a turn and see how you go

14. Can I come down at 12:30 and you can show me how much to turn it? Much obliged!!!

15. I will be leaving at 12.30
    turn it with the engine running until the sound disappears , but if it doesn't whithin a turn or two stop

16. ok, cool. I'll give it a go. Cheers dude, have a blast today!

• Like Like x 1
  17. I will be ther between 11 and 12.30 but I am by no means a mechanic
    hope fully Ultrum will be there he knows a bit about triples

18. how did you go?

19. I can't adjust the chain tension as it isn't a manual one. Hopefully the problem is the tensioner and not the cam itself. I've contacted Ultrum through the forum to get some more advice. Will keep you posted but it's looking like an expensive fix!

20. you can get a manual tensioner for around $50 as shown in the video twisty posted