Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

09 R1 starting problems in the cold!

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by yc168, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Hi Guys,

My 2009 r1 is at 11000kms, last service at 10,000.

Lately in the cold melbourne mornings, I have had issues starting it, like it doesn't start first time, I need to crank it like a while to it to start up!

Could it be spark plugs or just too cold?

2. battery dose'nt like the cold. some are better than others.
    my mate Vinnie rides an R1. those things are fully sick. i ride a cruiser myself. it's a yamaha virago. never has any problems starting. you should check them out.

3. Cold weather will affect a few things.

Firstly air is denser so your air/fuel mix will be slightly different to when the weather is warmer. Hence the need for more choke in the cold. If things are not tuned quite right, the extra issues can make it harder to start.

Also your battery will need to work harder in the cold. If it is starting to be on its way out this will also cause starting difficulty and you need to crank more which in turn drains the battery even more.

Basically run a voltmeter across the battery to see what it is showing both normal and when you are cranking. If it looks low it may need replacing. If battery looks good make sure your tuned properly.

4. Just too cold?

I've got an '09 R1 as well.

Off the top of my head, when it's really cold, I press the starter for maybe 5 seconds, give it a rest for a second or two and it'll start after a few more second of the starter button.

5. And get a battery tender.

My triple Requires everything the battery has to turn over so when not in use for two days plus. I plug it in.

:).

6. errr...09 R1 is fuel injected.....modern sports bikes haven't used carbs since they gave Adam his first pair of long strides.... :)

I'd be suspecting the cool mornings we've been having in Melbourne, together with probably fairly lean fueling down low to pass the pollution laws in some countries.

7. Thanks heaps for the replies guys, At least now I know my bike isn't screwed and it's to do with the weather :)

8. Yeah agree with the above my 06 is not liking it either.

9. If your looking for reading material, try this site.
    It's an R1 forum in the states, lots of info there....
    http://www.r1-forum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29

10. Fuel injected eh? Hmm. Better have a qualified mechanic inspect the choke then :)