Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

09 Ninja 250 - Forks Popping

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Funkmonkey, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Greetings Programs,

Ive had the bike for hrm... maybe a month and a half now i think. Now i went to the learners session in St Kilda about 2 weeks ago and was practising my ebraking. I noticed that when i come to a stop and the forks extend again, they make a popping noise. Since then ive noticed it doing it when i come up my driveway, but not really anywhere else, and as far as im aware it doesnt really seem to be affecting suspension at all, but im wondering why its doing that. Is this a problem? Serious/Minor? If so its something im going to have to look at getting fixed toot sweet!

Thanks guys,
    The Funk
  2. My first thought is steering head bearings. If that's the case, it may be a matter of adjusting them, or it may be a matter of replacing them. I'd get a mechanic, or one of the experienced riders on here to have a bit of a look at it for you.

If you're going to the learners sessions - our learners sessions - ask one of the old guys. I'd think about doing that this week, not this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. i would nearly think that its when the forks are 'topping out' that you are getting the clunking sound. rebound would be too fast.

but you cant adjust rebound on those forks IIRC.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. I like jimmyd s answer better. i will however get someone to look at it on the weekend. thanks guys.