Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

09 Honda CB400 tyres

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by bradr, Jun 28, 2012.

1. My 09 Honda CB400 has original fitment Bridgestone BT50 tyres , i have 14,500kms on the clock , i've just replaced my front tyre with a Michelin Roadpilot 3 , the rear tyre however still has about 4-5 kms left in it yet , my question is , shouldn't the rear tyre wear out before the front ? , admitedly i've come from a Vespa 250 scooter which gets 28,000kms front but 8,000 kms rear tyre life , i had assumed that a bike which is ridden normally or probably in my case gently re cornering, speed etc would probably get 2 rear tyres to 1 front tyre ? , whats the general thought on this ? , the Bridgesone i took off was not worn abnormally or scholloped nor showed any sign of under/over inflation , it was just plain worn out , i'm not complaining about the 14,500km life , i'm just curious as to why its worn out way before the front ?.

2. maybe you dont use a foot brake coming from a scooter or you've been doing burnouts
  3. Hmm , yeh that'll be it ,i'm probably thinking that the rear brake is on the l/h side and pulling the clutch in when coming up to a corner , i'm just trying to work out the burnouts though , i thought the 400 Honda was rear wheel drive , maybe i was mistaken ?, have you per chance got something intelligent to say as far as the front tyre wear ? , i thought i was asking a fair/reasonable question ?.
  4. Nah the CB400 is front wheel drive, that's probably why you're going through front tyres quicker. Next service ask about a RWD conversion and a indicator fluid top up.

Seriously though maybe your tyre pressure is too low at the front? What are you running?
  5. I have been running 33psi , thats what the book says , the tyre didn't display any sign of being run under/over pressure , it was still a nice rounded tread area , the BT50F tyre is a strange looking tread pattern in that is a very narrow pattern compared with a BT023 Bridgestone or the Michelin i've just put on , as most of the CB400's around 09 ran the BT50's as original fitment i figured that others on the forum may have had similar experience with them , maybe i've got the wrong theory about the 1front tyre to 2 rear tyres as an average on bikes , can anybody clarify this ? .

"indicator fluid top up " ??? lol