Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

08 Ninja 250R Rattle

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by arlennnn, Sep 25, 2012.

1. I commute daily with my ninja and recently I've noticed a sort of rattle coming from the front of the bike.

It usually occurs after riding for a bit (trip is around 50km each way) and it happens when I slow right down, clutch in, front brake applied. It generally stops once I've come to a stop. I also hear it when I take-off and stops once I change into second gear. The noise sounds kind of like rocks being shook in a can.

Bike still feels normal so I hope it's nothing, but the noise is a little disconcerting. Any help would be great! 8-[

Edit: I've also tried searching (maybe not good enough) but can't seem to find any similar scenarios to mine, the only solution I seem to get is that it could be the clutch basket
  2. Ride until it rattles, then pinch, hold or press on every fairing join you can SAFELY reach.
    The wind screen corners came loose on my old ninja so that's how I found it.
  3. Check the chain tension first. Sounds like it could be hitting the chain guard.
  4. I thought it might be the fairings as well but the bolts seemed to be all tightened correctly

Just had my bike serviced and the chain was tightened. I've noticed a clicking when I roll my bike though. Seems to happen once on every rotation of the chain, not sure if it's normal or not
  5. It's not. One of the links may be "kinked" so worth checking all of them, and checking the tension at all points in the chain.

Never trust a service for these things. I've seen bikes that have come from a full service where everything has supposedly been checked - and yet the drive chain was so loose it could easily be pulled free of the rear sprocket.
  6. Just went down to the work garage to adjust my clutch lever and decided to roll it around noticed the click seems to be gone. Had Streetmaster service it, so I'm not worried about that at all. He did it all right in front of me and did a great job might I add :)

Had a ride around the car park and couldn't replicate the rattle. I'll see how it goes on the ride home, maybe my bike is just telling me it hates start stop traffic and wants more open roads :p
  7. Or whatever was rattling has fallen off :p :LOL:
  8. hope that was the case! :LOL:
  9. Just not the engine case, right?
  10. Haha no thankfully