Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

06 SV650 - Squeaky rear brakes

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by gracebeey, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Hi all,

I thought I’d humbly ask your opinions on this, as I’m at loss as to what’re wrong with my bike’s rear brake.

Basically, the rear brake squeals. It’s quite annoying, actually. It’s been squealing for a few months now, and when I took it for a service the mechanics looked at it and said he’s cleaned and adjusted it to make sure they’re okay (he didn’t charge me anything for that – and this is a reputable shop). I didn’t notice any squealing on the way home from the shop, so I thought that was the end of it. Anyway, it came back the next day.

The brake pads are not brand new, nor are they worn out, and these are the most obvious reasons for squealing I thought. The bike itself’s only done around 8,000 kms, so it’s not like the brake’s ready to die yet.

It’s a very minor issue, and it’s not performance related so I’m a bit embarrassed asking about it, but it’s annoyed me long enough now.

Any suggestions? And yes, I’ll call the mechanic tomorrow, but if you have any good guesses that would help I reckon.

Many many many thanks,

-G-

2. yep if the pads are fine pull em back and refit, using brake squeal (i think thats what it's called).

Also been told that a light rub over surface of the pad with emery paper can also do it....i will generally only do this with new pads, if i know i would have a chance to bed them after fitting :)

3. You've probably had some glazzing or metal bonding occur. some pads are more prone to this than others.

Pull the pads and give them a file.

It may happen again at which point I would be trying different pads.

4. Thanks for the suggestions guys! I'll mention that.

I'm kicking myself for missing this week's Spanner night, because I just realised it's on changing brake pads etc. so that would've been very handy. :cry:

Oh well next time huh?