Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

06 GPX smoke

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Zealt, Mar 2, 2008.

1. i dont think its anything serious but its freaking me out.

Today after i washed the bike, checked the air filter and lubed up the chain i went for a ride (after it sat for about 2 hours) and at the first set of lights i could see smoke/steam coming through the beam of light from my headlight.
    i stopped and tried to see where it was coming from but when i looked it had stoped.. so i rode some more and the next set of lights same thing, smoke/steam so i stoped at a mates and had a look in some light and couldnt see anything out of place.

The temp was fine, i thought maybe it only happens when i stop because it could be brakes??? any ideas would be good, I'd hate to see her in pain for long.

2. Get water on the radiator? If water gets on your radiator it will steam. Eg. if you're sitting at lights and it starts to rain, when rain makes its way down to the radiator, some steam will come up.

3. maybe ur where fogging ur helmet up and the steam was on the inside lol.

DW about it lot of nooks and crannies on the bike

4. Sounds like water boiling off the engine. Nothing to worry about, obviously. Usual rule is keep an eye on the temp gauge and don't worry too much about steam during the 'warming up' phase.

5. Its gone now, i think it might of been a little bit of chain lube on the muffler.

6. Many thanks for an all-too-rare after action report. :grin:

7. Anytime. :LOL:

I couldn't see them at night cuz they were like the size of a pin head!