Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

06 CBR1000RR Oil and Filter change - what do you recommend?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Nucleotide, Mar 11, 2011.

1. I know this subject has probably been covered in the past but I'm looking for specifics - not just an overall best for a range of bikes. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything specific so...

I've been using OEM filters in the past but have been looking at trying HIFLOFILTRO or K&N for a change. Would anyone recommend against this - should I stick to the OEM filter or is there a better option?

Oil is also another touchy subject around here I see. For an 06 CBR1KRR though, what would you recommend as a good all round oil. Motul seem to be fairly popular. The bike isn't being used on the track (if it matters at all) so I just need a good oil for everyday street use.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you. (y)
  2. Hi Flo are fine. K&N are dear and do the same job. OEM too dear.
    Motul 5100. Or I have used the Castrol motorcycle full synthetic from Supercheap Auto's and it is good at a bargain price. Actually smoothed out the gear change much better the the Motul
  3. OEM filter is dependable and you know it's made specifically to suit you bike, @ $20 - $25 from dealer.
    I always use Motul 5100. Not the cheapest oil, but it is good.
  4. Does anyone actually use a torque wrench to replace the new oil filter to the specific torque stated in the manual or do you just guess?
  5. Do you have a small torque wrench? Dont even think of using the big ones, even at their lowest torque settings.....
  6. Not really. I do a quarter turn after hand tight. Too tight and you stuff the O'ring. And it is a real pain to get off at next change. Just a smear of fresh oil on the 0'ring, hand tight and qtr turn usually. Top it @ refill amount not the full oil capacity.
    Start it before you get all the fairing back on and check for leaks. Let it get warm too. And once again recheck you oil level. A good time to clean the chain and chain slide too.
    Ps you will find a little oil around the base of the oil filter when you refill. Wipe it before starting it and then check it again after running it. It's just from the smear on the O'ring.
    A tiny drop of Loctite 243 on the fairing bolts will stop them coming lose too.
  7. Ended up going with the K&N filter and Motul 5100. We shall see how it goes.
  8. I've got one which I think is ideally used for cars which I've used in the past. It isn't huge but it isn't small either. Seems to do the job.
  9. Torque wwrenches come in sizes because they tend not to as accurate at the extremes of their range. For an oil filter I suspect your setting will be very low and on a typical wrench will be at the limits of it's range unless it is a small wrench designed for low settings.

That said as mentioned above their isn't too much rocket science to oil filter tightening. It probably isn't very much more (if any) than the most you can tighten it by hand. Run engine and check next morning. If it leaks then do it a bit tighter.

These things get tighter as they heat up and cool over time and even just hand tight you will find it takes quite a bit more to loosen it when you finally replace it.
  10. Usually around 25Nm for a bike filter @ factory specs. Give or take, and they are on tight for being on such a short life. The qtr is probably my safety margin. Does depend on how well you can get a grip on it too. Not so easy on some bikes.
  11. I tighten "by feel" too...filter sockets are a step too far even for this anal retentive individual.
  12. I've long stopped using a filter wrench and never entertained the idea of a torque wrench. A smear of oil on the rubber ring, tighten until the seal bites, then a quarter turn, again by hand, nips it up fine. Never had a leak in years of riding and its easier to remove.

Honda filters have all the same marking as Hiflofiltro and I'm sure that's where they're from. But at about $20 from the Honda dealer, OEM is not a premium choice and you know it's the right one.