Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

'05 Wr450F 5th Stuttering

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by Robbbieeg, Apr 14, 2016.

1. Hey guys, I need some advice.

Been searching through the internet and can't find anything specific to my problem. Maybe I'm not searching the right words but here it is.

Background:
    Dropped the bike over a month ago at medium speed and now has a leak from the engine casing and small dent. Very minor leakage, maybe 5ml an hour but engine runs fine. (need to fix this too but unsure what that problem is). I haven't been riding it much since then except for two long rides and a few commutes (less than 500kms) and have kept the oil topped up every ride.

Problem:
    So I was riding back home the other day, nothing too hard and after 20 minutes of riding I pulled in the clutch to roll up to a set of lights. With the bike in fifth gear it started to stutter and make a knocking noise with the clutch fully disengaged. I felt most of the vibrations from my rear foot pegs and almost felt like the chain slapping or a when you accidentally knock it into first while accelerating in second. This only happened a handful of times on my ride and I had hoped it was nothing until I road again today and now in low rpm slowing down in fifth gear it happens everytime, clutch engaged.

I'm hoping this is clutch and not gearbox issues but it only seems to occur in fifth gear. If I ride 1st-4th it is fine. Any ideas guys?