Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

`04: R1, GSXR1000, CBR1000RR

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by TheNextArnie87, Sep 4, 2008.

1. 2004 Yamaha R1

2. 2004 Suzuki GSXR1000

0 vote(s)
  3. 2004 Honda CBR1000RR

4. Cant say, have no experience with these bikes.

1. Hi all,
    Looking to buy a litre bike and would like some opinions on what would be the best choice(in your opinion);

2004 Yamaha R1
    2004 Suzuki GSXR1000
    2004 Honda CBR1000RR
    (assuming i can get them all for the same price)

I have test ridden the R1 and Gixxer, and it seems to me that the Suzuki is a lot smoother through gear changes and feels a lot more powerful - riding position seems the same(im 6ft tall). Im test riding a CBR tomorrow so will have a direct comparison between all 3, but in the meantime would be interested to hear some opinion.

Thanks in advance guys :)
  2. The 04 gixxer was the last of its generation - the 05 lost a huge amount of weight and was the standard bearer for a new generation of sporties. It has only now been outclassed by the new blade.

The 04 Blade was the first of the 1000cc fireblades, and I'm of the opinion that the 04-07 fireblades were balltearers. That would be my pick, not having had a lot to do with the R1. I did have a quick thrash on one of those, but it was feeling a bit loose after a proper day in day out bollocking from its mad hatter of an owner.

At the end of the day, one of the bikes will jump out at you. It will probably be the one that's got the newest tyres and chain. ;)
  3. i was looking at these 3 bikes just recently.

04 GSXR-1000; didn't like the look of them firstly. how a bike looks is, sadly, influential for me. it looks dated compared to the CBR and the R1. it isn't in the same ballpark when compared to the 05 GSXR, so remember this when pricing them against others. they are a good bike mechanically, good brakes, suspension, etc. but after riding an 05 you wouldn't consider the 04... well i didn't. they were larger than the 05 tho, so if you're tall like me, it may be somthing to consider.

04 CBR1000RR; lovely looking bike, great motor, honda reliability/build quality, cant go wrong really. they didn't change much from the 04-05 to the 06-07 mdl's, so you're getting a great bike! these have a very linear power delivery, great motor to ride, very predictable, etc. again, if you're tall, they're a pretty good fit!

04 YZR-R1; best looking of them all, IMO. this bike i can comment on from an owner's perspective as i have one. for tall people, it's fantastic (for a modern sportsbike), the bar/seat/peg positioning is a real winner. the motor is insane in it's top end, and pretty mild in the low/mid range, so around town, it's a pussy cat, but can turn wild if you peg it full throttle and wind it up. the weaker midrange (compared to early R1's) is good if you're coming from a less powerful bike, so keep that in mind.

basically, they're all great bikes, the honda and yamaha probably look less dated and will most likely re-sale better down the track if you care about that. the yamaha is the pick for modern styling.
  4. I don't have direct riding experience, but I voted for the Gix.

All three are great bikes, but I believe the Gix has more usable power than the R1.

And although it's quite possible the Honda is the best bike, every bugger and his dog has one.

Shallow, moi? ;)
  5. try the 04 zx10 as well.

ive had it for a couple of months now and it still amazes me how tiny it is. specially when i get on my 02 gsxr600 after that
  6. ha! more like matched by! :p

and copied. :wink:
  7. Dude you would by far and away be the most biased poster on this site :LOL: