Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

'04 r1 barnett clutch grinding yamaha city stumped

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by yama_nut, Oct 13, 2009.

1. Gday, Im on my third clutch on my bike (2004 r1) and last time round i had a barnett clutch installed on the recommendation of dynobike. About 500km later the bike started making a grinding noise when i take off at anything above about 2000rpm - a really horrid metallic choking sound. it is at the point now when I literally have to take off so lightly that i almost stall the bike to avoid this.

I took it to yamaha city for a service and got them to look at the clutch, they pulled it apart and said they didn't know why it was making the sound, but that all the plates except for the final clutch plate were barnett, but the last contact plate was a yamaha factory plate. After a lot of head scratching they said that possibly because barnett clutches are under a higher tension/pressure than factory clutches, the barnett mechanism might be pushing the yamaha plate harder than usual, and this created the grinding noise.

The mechanic there test rode the bike and gave it to it hard and agreed with me that there was no slipping up high and that apart from the awful sound the clutch appeared fine.. the final prognosis was basically 'live with it or replace the clutch'.

I dont know what to do, I love my bike and it sounds like its being damaged whenever I take off hard so I really dont know what to do except take off slower than the old lady next to me in her datsun.

I don't know what kind of oil is in the clutch but it was changed at yamaha city without fixing the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas? I've been living with this problem for almost a year now!
  2. These bikes have a noisy clutch standard. The aftermarket clutches are even louder! But it's nothing compared to a Ducati open dry clutch.

I was speaking to Dean at Dynoverks about this only last week. I recommend you call him and have a chat about it.
  3. How is the wear on the non-friction plates? Also, what type of oil are you running?