Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

04 450 EXC - Indicators/Brake light

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Deadsy, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Hi all,

The bikes is a 2004 KTM 450 EXC. It came with most of the things I need to get it registered, however I need some help.

Problem 1: The tail light didn't work at first so I replaced the bulb and although it works now, the brake light still doesn't. There is a rear brake pressure switch connected, so atleast that should work. What could the problem be?

Problem 2: I can't get the indicators to work properly. At first I couldn't get them to work at all, but then I realised the flasher unit was not connected. I connected it, but now all four indicators flash at the same time. The wiring harness for the front was already connected, I connected the rear one myself.

Before I got the bike I had NFI at all. Looking through the wiring harness diagram in the parts manual that came with bike and some research has got me to where I am atm. I'm having fun learning and figuring it out... but I think I am stuck now.

Any help would be appreciated.

Edit: The indicators seem to working properly now, not 100% sure what I did to fix it. I will mess around again later and see if I can figure it out.
  2. Pics of bike, stat.

...and lol, the electrics on these are a bit moody.
  3. [​IMG]

When I start getting the parts for the motard conversion, I'll make a proper thread. :)
  4. thank god youre doing a motard conversion. nice akra too.

haha dirt bike indicators never work, its a constant battle.
  5. The akra is ****ing awwwwesome. I've heard the KTM RC8 referred to as the "Austrian Hate Machine", I decided that name was also applicable to this bike after I heard it the first time.

Any ideas on the brake light? I will take a closer look at the switch tomorrow.

Edit: JimmyD, yeah it will be used on the road. I don't have dirt experience so I wouldn't get a 450 for that.
  6. Great success! I have figured out what the problem is with the brake light. The part of the front brake switch that connects to the master cylinder is broken and comes loose, so the brake light is always on. When I held that in properly the brake light works as it should. \\:D/