Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

'01 CBR600F4i - normal operating temps?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by grue, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Hey all, how often should my bike be getting into the 100°+ range on a "normal" day if I'm just putting around town?

2. Most of the time I'd guess. In a pressurised cooling system the boiling point of your coolant is well over the 100 mark so you've still got a bit of a margin.

How often is your fan cutting in, if at all?
  3. My normal temp is 82 anything below that means its very cold outside, around town goes from 82 to 108 when the fan kicks in, so in the city sitting at 100 stopping at lights is fine on mine.
  4. I'd say "with reasonable frequency" is the best way to describe it.
  5. Depends on a lot of things, including rider behaviour, ambient temperature, and how much time you spent 'tootling' v how much you spend stopped and waiting.

My 14 seems to get very hot on warm days, and the heat coming up from the engine is pretty fierce. The gauge is just a bar graph, but it lives at or near the top on warm days, and the thermo comes on more than it's off - but the bike has never boiled or done anything untoward. I do tend to switch off if I know how long I'm going to be waiting at the light. That probably increases the wear on the starter motor and starter clutch a bit, but this thing gets HOT.
  6. My '02 gets to 100 pretty quickly in stop-start traffic, the fan kicks in at 106 or so. When I get moving properly again, it drops back to ~80.

I thought it seemed a little high as well, so I had a very good look over the cooling system, then flushed it and replaced the coolant. No change. Guess it's normal.
  7. Similar to the other comments on here with my gsxr-600
    78 degrees on an open road, regularly gets to 110 degrees while stuck in heavy traffic/ traffic lights, cooling fan kicks in at 108 degrees.