Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

N/A | National “People May Drive Safer If More Motorcyclists Were On The Road”

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Maurice Blackburn, Jan 31, 2014.

1. It's been reported “People May Drive Safer If More Motorcyclists Were On The Road” – how could this become reality?

Info re study:

"Researchers from Australian National University and Monash University studied how the “low-prevalence effect” increases the likelihood of an accident. They looked into how this effect could impair one’s ability to safely perform dynamic tasks, such as driving"

"When motorcycles occurred more frequently, the car divers were able to detect them on average from over 150-feet farther away than in tests where they occurred less often, which allowed the drivers an extra three seconds to respond if a collision were to occur"

While there’s no magic bullet when it comes to road safety the outcome of this study is intriguing, the question is…

…how could you get more people to take up motorcycling?
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Make it more beneficial as a commuting option (filtering, no harassment, tolls, rego etc.)

Also, including them in the road infrastructure planning process wouldn't hurt.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  3. IMG_0510.
    Send all motorists to Ho Chi Ming City (Siagon) in South Vietnam. Motor scooters fill spaces between cars like water - at least 30 scooters to one car - quiet time at a roundabout shown here
  4. All of the above.
    I would also add use of advance stopping areas, even as a stand alone measure, and use of bicycle lanes :bolt:
    (impossible I know, but only if we continue to allow that their lives are worth more than motorcyclists').
  5. Why are motorcycles and scooters so popular in Europe and Asia?.
  6. Because it's virtually impossible to get through the towns in a car?
    Purchase price has to have a lot to do with it too. It sure as hell ain't safety.
  7. But in Europe and Asia bikes/scooters have been part of the urban landscape for decades, long before the issues of modern road congestion reared its head.

Honestly, in Australia, I don't know if we'll ever get motorcycling in to the mainstream. And quite frankly, I don't want it to be mainstream, it's part of the attraction for me.

8. Asia is obvious.

But we could learn something from Italy. Italians can get a scooter at the age of 15 or so, well before they can get a car.

So they progress from scooters too car. It doesn't take a genius too work out the advantage's.

We should have something similar here. Restrict the 15- 17yr old scooter use too 80km/h or less zones and no freeway's, and the next generation will be much better drivers.

It will never happen here though.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. It works in a small highly populated country like Italy. Australia is a different kettle of fish.

10. And your logic? It's not like the streets of Italy are highly ordered!

Riding around the burbs in Australia is a cakewalk compared too many Italian cities.
  11. I've wrestled with this for a long time. I've read Boris bagging the weekend posers and the beige infiltration ruining his motorcycle experience, and there is some truth in this... but in the glory days when bikes were left alone and off the government radar, the fatality rate was 300% higher than it is today.

There isn't a Mt Everest's snow capped chance in hell of those "under the radar" days ever returning ever again.

The only way forward is to get more riders onto bikes and more visible on the roads, and through this exposure will greater legitimacy flow.

The articles add to a pile of research around the "circle of care"* and "time to arrival illusion"** (even the TAC makes a mention of this illusion effect on their spokes site) and fleshes out the cognitive blindness stuff that "the invisible Gorilla" made famous... and it all points to one thing, more and better driver awareness will result in fewer drivers mowing bikes down.

* "Circle of care" - non riding friends and family of riders tend to be more aware of and see motorcycles more often, than the average non riding person.

** "time to arrival" illusion:
    http://epi6.svmc.se/upload/Se Oss/storlek_hastighet.pdf
  12. With the amount of LAMS approved bikes flooding the market I thought that meant motorbikes were becoming more popular? Or are people leaning toward the low/mid powered range?
  13. Well to encourage more people to take up motorcycling you would need to create a
    Vicious Lawless Association Disestablishment act and have police harass the other motorcyclist on the road.

oh wait
  14. And the distances involved?
  15. Ok so the topic diversion has been fun...

What sort of tactics or strategies could be tried to improve positive driver awareness about motorcycles?

How could we get this positive message that more bikes on the roads will make the roads safer?
  16. Its slowly but surely happening,
    As more people buy dirt bikes for fun, More little kids are riding them,

They see their friends and relatives on motor bikes of all sizes, So they are becoming more aware of Bikes on the road, Pointing them out,

The kids point out bikes to their Parents while driving, Then the parents are becoming aware of the bikes as well,

I have people pull their cars over so I can filter past, Always a wave to thank them,

The days of being deliberately squeezed by Arseholes in cars has gone down dramatically over the last few years, It still happens tho, Be aware of this,

Even that Moron and his Whacko Laws in Queensland is actually a positive thing for Bikers in the long run,
    As it is making people aware of bikes on the road,

But I do think that it is a lot to do with the older riders,

My Gramps, and my Grandma both ride bikes, So the whole family is looking out for bikes,
    And it goes on from there, Its a good disease and it is spreading,

We have come a long way from when I started to ride,

You rode a Motor cycle, You were a criminal, Thats the way it was, Same as now in QLD,

The spellings wrong too,

My 2 Cents worth,
  17. What about them? We are talking teenagers here, how far are they supposed to go to school or meet their friends?
    Italian teenagers use their scooters like our teenagers use our push bikes, bus or parents. They go to school, their friends houses, or the shops. How often did you leave your local area as a kid?

If your argument is rural kids in very small country towns then it's a null point. Those places don't teach you how to drive in traffic. City places like Bendigo, Armidale, Cairns etc would be perfect for a scooter if you lived in town.

I thought that's what I was discussing? If more teenagers learn't to ride scooters before driving a car, they'd be safer drivers. It's a step towards greater diver education (might ease some congestion?).

My idea is better than the 1km/h speeding fines....
  18. Have you ever been to Europe?

I left my local area a LOT for what it is worth, and no, I wasn't a rural kid.
  19. I make a habit of -when I have enough time- nodding at whomever I end up in front of when I filter. More often than not, the reaction is neutral, a returned nod, or even a smile.
  20. #20 aushy, Feb 1, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
    Recently I've been thinking that there are more and more bikes on the road than ever before.. but maybe that's because I just got my licence so I notice them more :p

But this vehicle registration census confirms that the amount of registered bikes has increased 31% from 2008 to 2013.

Sorry but I can't post the link, I'm under the post count :/
    Google "Motor Vehicle Census, Australia - Australian Bureau of Statistics"