Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

ADRs and Vehicle Standards

ADRs and Vehicle Standards

  1. danny_tb
    ADRs and the Vehicle Standards are enforced by police throughout Australia, and if your bike doesn't comply, you'll get pinged! So, how do you...
    You do not have permission to view the full content of this resource.
    TranZfusion and Mouth like this.
  1. kudos to you Danny

    can you clear up the LED lights issue

    in my respect its making my wheels "Tron"

  2. What stuff do I need to make sure I adhere to when building a motorcycle trailer? Going to build it from scratch using scrap metal and a welder, will buy the trailer hitch and swivel coupling.

    Edit: By motorcycle trailer I mean a trailer that I attach to a motorcycle, not a trailer that I put a motorcycle on.
  3. What type of lights are you asking about? Headlights, indicators, brake/tail lights, fog lights, etc? The rules are different for each.

    I'll have to get the ADRs and NCOP out at lunch time and have a look. I'll get back to you on this one, but in the meanwhile, I'd suggest that it's a good idea to get a commercially available drawbar too (the bit that bolts to the frame of your bike).
  4. I am talking about these - but non flashing of course

  5. Ah... Now I get you... I've never seen an ADR covering "bling" lights, so I'll have to look at the Vehicle Standards Regs to see what they have to say. I do know that as soon as you put a blue light on the vehicle, or a red light anywhere other than as an ADR compliant tail/brake light, you're likely to get nabbed (blue and red lights are reserved for emergency vehicles).

    This one's a potential "no win" situation, so I'll have to have spend a bit of time coming up with an answer for you...
  6. OK... Here's what I have so far... You'll need to comply with Vehicle Standards Bulletin No.1:


    If you're using scrap metal, you might be in for a rude shock unless you can get "scrap" of decent lengths... All of the welds will need to be done to the standards outlined in Australian Standard AS 1554 "Structural Steel Welding Category SP" (at least, I wouldn't sign it off if the welding hadn't been done to that standard). This means you'll need to get the welds done by a qualified professional welder who knows how to comply with AS 1554. In the old days, the way it would've been said is "the fella has to have his DLI [Department of Labour and Industries] ticket..."

    In coming up with the design, you'll have to remember that your bike won't pull something that's 750kg, so it will be a light construction (all the more reason to get it right). It will have to be made so it puts some weight onto the back of your bike, but doesn't overload it. You'll also have to make the centre of gravity low enough not to cause tipping issues when you're cornering (it won't be as wide as a car trailer, so for the same height it won't be as stable as far as tipping is concerned).

    You'll need to apply to your local transport authority for a 17 digit Vehicle Identificaiton Number (VIN), as this is mandatory for all vehicles and trailers first registered since stuff-knows what date (I think my Dad's wooden trailer might be the only one still registered that was built before the VIN requirement).

    I'm still not 100% certain if you'll need an engineer's certification for such a small trailer (my lunch break is rapidly drawing to an end, so I'll have to look for this info later). If you do need an engineer's certificate, then the cost involved will put the total cost of the job over the cost of buying a commercially available trailer: they can get "type approval" for units that they build to the same design, so the engineering costs are effectively shared by many customers, making it a cheaper option than building your own and getting it certified.

  7. Thank you -- I plan to use white leds
  8. Can this fall under "individually constructed " ?
  9. That is what I meant by "trailer hitch". Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me.

    I think you will find that blue lights are only permitted on police and emergency vehicles.

    Farken hell...

    So I need to either become a qualified welder and learn how to weld well enough to comply to AS1554, or get the welds done by someone who is one? You've raised a point here which will require some looking into.

    I've already mulled over about making the trailer as light as possible. For starters the trailer hitch (draw bar) that I'm going to buy is only load rated to 230 kilograms.

    I won't necessarily constructing it entirely out of steel, if it is viable to do the frame in aluminium then that's what it will be made out of. The floor, tool box, drop down gate and rails will be constructed out of aluminium. I've also thought about putting up some high acryllic sheet in a V shape pointing towards the front of the motorcycle to help reduce drag for when I'm towing anything that's fairly high.

    From what I understand, if the trailer is no wider than the vehicle towing it then it does not require registration, however I do not know how they measure the vehicle. Do the measure it at its widest point, in this case the handlebars? I've got nice and wide handle bars so this gives me a certain amount of width to play with. Or do the measure the horizontal wheel base, in this case the width of the rear tyre? I haven't been able to find any official standard for measuring the width of a vehicle.

    Trailers that meet the following requirements do not need to be registered
    i) weigh less than 200 kilograms unladen; and
    ii) are not wider than the towing vehicle as produced by the manufacturer; and
    iii) are not more than 3 metres long including the drawbar and any load

    This seems reasonable enough and seems to fit my idea of what I want to build perfectly. However, it raises another question. How do they measure the drawbar, the full length of the whole construction of the drawbar or only the part that extrudes out past the length of the vehicle? Common sense tells me that it would be the latter.
  10. Absolutely! It will have an "ICV" type VIN, but it still might need to have engineering certification (most ICVs need it - it's rare not to need it).

    Because of my schedule, it will probably be a couple of days before I get to do any more looking into things. Sorry about the delay - life tends to get in the way of the important stuff... ](*,)
  11. The vehicle width is the maximum width excluding the mirrors. For most bikes it's somewhere around 700mm, give or take a bit. I'd have to look at what bike trailer manufacturers do, but my gut feeling is that 700mm is too narrow for tip-over stability. Since the info says "and" between each of the clauses, having a trailer that's wider than your bike would mean that you'll have to register it. However... You never know, I could be just a bit too conservative in my estimate... I'll have a look at some more info when I can, and I'll see what others do.
  12. All good danny, I'll try to get onto the phone to vicroads and ADR peeps about it. I'm expecting a lot of "Uuuuum"s, "Uuuuh"s, "Ooh..."s and "Don't quote me on this one, but...". Hopefully I'll eventually get somebody who's got the answer.
    If the trailer does not require to be registered due to being under the conditions that I just posted, then it will not require an engineering certificate due to not requiring a vin due to not being registered. However, it could be a concern with insurance, I'll have to check my insurance policy to see if it excludes any accidents where an unregistered trailer was attached to my vehicle.

    Ah hmm, this could be an issue. Can you think of any way to solve tip-over other than increasing the width? Perhaps cast iron rods welded to the side of the trailer and attached to the luggage racks (which I'm also going to make) with a 360 degree vertical swivel between the trailer and the bike?

    Edit: Bit of good news, there's no exclusion in my policy which states that I won't be covered if I tow an unregistered trailer. Now if I smash into something with the trailer, that is likely to be another story...
  13. Kudos for posting this info up Danny.
  14. Thanks for the link Justus. White lights to the rear will contravene the ADRs though (except as a number plate light). Red lights anywhere other than as a tail/brake light are the same, and blue is absolutely out of the question anywhere. I need to find a link to VSI10 that works (or maybe it just doesn't work on my phone). Good link. Pity people were more interested in talking about where to get them than the actual legalities, but the info's there... If only I could access it...
  15. I have to try some more to find the Victorian regs, but here's what the Tassie regs state for "other lights" (my summary: thumbs down - but there may be a loop-hole... see my comment at the bottom):

    Tasmanian Consolidated Regulations
    Division 19 - Other lights, reflectors, rear marking plates or signals 108. Other lights and reflectors

    (1) In this regulation –

    "emergency vehicle" means –
    (a) an ambulance; or

    (b) a vehicle built or permanently modified for firefighting purposes; or

    (c) a vehicle used by an electricity authority for carrying out emergency repairs to power lines;

    "exempt vehicle" means –
    (a) a police vehicle; or

    (b) an Australian Protective Service vehicle; or

    (c) an Australian Customs Service vehicle; or

    (d) an Airservices Australia vehicle; or

    (e) an Australian Defence Force vehicle; or

    (f) a vehicle operated under the Ambulance Service Act 1982 and authorised by the Director of Ambulance Services to respond to emergencies; or

    (g) a vehicle operated, approved or authorised under the Fire Service Act 1979; or

    (h) a vehicle operated, approved or authorised under the Emergency Management Act 2006;

    (i) a transport enforcement vehicle;

    "special-use vehicle" means –
    (a) a vehicle built, fitted or used in hazardous situations on a public street; or

    (b) a vehicle or combination that, because of its dimensions, is permitted to be driven or used on a public street only in accordance with a permit issued under the Vehicle and Traffic (Vehicle Operations) Regulations 2001; or

    (c) a vehicle built or fitted to accompany a vehicle or combination mentioned in paragraph (b); or

    (d) a bus fitted with a sign telling road users that the bus carries children; or

    (e) a vehicle built, fitted or used as an escort for, or in support of the competitors in, a cycling or foot race or other sporting event making use of public streets.
    Examples for paragraph (a):

    Tow trucks and vehicle breakdown service vehicles.

    Kerbside garbage and recycling collection vehicles.

    Vehicles used to accompany livestock on public streets.

    Vehicles used in road construction.

    (2) A vehicle may be fitted with a light or reflector not mentioned in the Vehicle Standards if –

    (a) another law of this jurisdiction so allows; or

    (b) an ADR so allows and the light or reflector is fitted in accordance with that ADR.

    (3) However, except as provided by subregulation (4) or an exemption issued under the Vehicle and Traffic (Vehicle Operations) Regulations 2001, a vehicle must not be fitted with –

    (a) a light that flashes; or

    (b) a light or reflector that –

    (i) shows a light other than a red, yellow or white light; or

    (ii) shows a red light to the front; or

    (iii) shows a white light to the rear; or

    (iv) is shaped or located in a way that reduces the effectiveness of a light or reflector that is required to be fitted to the vehicle under the Vehicle Standards.

    (4) Despite any requirement of a third edition ADR –

    (a) an exempt vehicle may be fitted with one or more flashing lights of any colour and one or more reflectors of any colour; and

    (b) an emergency vehicle may be fitted with one or more flashing red or white lights; and

    (c) a special-use vehicle may be fitted with one or more flashing yellow lights.

    [end quote]

    From the info above, in Tas, you probably won't get away with having external LEDs of any colour unless they're tail lights, brake lights, parking lights, or indicators (all of these lights must comply with the ADRs, so you won't be able to use strings of LEDs). I've tried to find a copy of the Victorian VSI10, which supposedly covers the LEDs, but so far I've drawn a blank. Since it isn't on their website, it's possible that it might've been revoked.

    However, that being said, vehicles are allowed to have "interior lights". There might (and I only mean might) be a loophole where placing lights inside the fairing where the lights can't be seen directly from the outside could be considered to be interior lights (or maybe "engine bay lights").

    Clearance lights aren't permitted for vehicles under 1.8m in width (at least in Tas), so you can't put them on and call them clearance lights...

    At the front, it might be possible to add white LEDs in a manner that complies with the ADR for daytime running lamps (like the LEDs found on the front of some cars now), but you'd have to be careful to comply with the ADR, and that may not be possible with the LEDs that are commonly sourced for this application (I simply don't know enough about them to say one way or another at the moment). Also, daytime running lamps aren't supposed to come on when the headlight is on, so with most bikes now, they're useless anyway...

    Irrespective of whether they're permitted or not, I wouldn't put them into positions where they're directly visible, as this could cause issues with police.

    I realise that it probably raises more questions than it provides answers, but that's my progress on the bling lighting question at the moment.
  16. So I might be able to add red and blue lights to a windshield and they could be considered interior lights.
    I could make or purchase brackets that allow me to quickly change the direction the lights face in, and install some sort of hidden quick-disconnect switch which changes them from constant light to flashing.
  17. yes the adr covering internal lights says any colour and no other requirement

    I think i said it in another thread adr 19/00 but double check
  18. I've had a look at some info on commercially available bike trailers. All the ones I've seen info for are 900m and wider. Unless there's an exemption from the unregistered trailer width requirements for bikes pulling trailers, I'd say that you're likely to need to register it. This also means that you'll need to get a VIN, which means you're likely to need to get it certified by someone on Victoria's certification list (sorry, I'm not on the Victorian list, so I can't help you there).

    From what I've heard, you're likely to spend a minimum of $800 on getting an engineering signatory report in Victoria, and I heard that figure four years ago, so it's probably more by now.

    For a professionally made trailer, you're likely to get one (with a hitch suited to your bike) starting at around $2000 new. I'd be more inclined toward looking for a second hand one, and then buying a new hitch for your bike.

    All of that being said, there's a crowd in USA which makes trailers that lean with the bike. Being more narrow than conventional bike trailers, you might be able to sneak one in as being more narrow than your bike (at the expense of the bike being harder to keep upright when you stop). The trailer you're looking for is half way down the page I've linked here: http://www.motorcycletrailer.com/

    Enjoy! :D

    PS: as for "drawbar"... I kinda got my terminology mixed up in a previous message... Yes, it's actually a hitch. The drawbar is a part of the trailer itself...
  19. That being said, he'd still get pinged for impersonating a police officer... ;)