1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

Would you buy the same again?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by powerd, Apr 23, 2012.

chrome

chrome Member

My Sprint GT appears to be written off after a tuesday morning mishap in the rain, so I'm in this boat.

No, I don't think I'll get another GT. Don't get me wrong - it's a great bike, and it did everything I ever wanted it to do. The 1050cc engine in those things make them special. But I'm evolving as a rider and I want to explore other bikes. I'll probably get a 600 supersport next. I fell in love with the S1000RR after a good 45 minutes on one up in the snowies recently, but thinking I need some time on a 600 first before I blow all my cash on the beemer.

I just won't talk about the beemer in front of my new bike. Bikes don't like you talking about other bikes in front of them. They'll throw you off ..

I'm thinking a zx-6r, either a relatively new one or one of the 636's.

Audible

Audible Member

Motorbike(s):
    kawasaki Er-6n 2010
    Hard question for me.

I bought (imho), the best commuter bike out there. For 90% of the time it's ideal. Unfortunately there is that 10% of the time, weekends and days off when you want that something extra.

That something extra for me it's one of two things. A better open road tourer that can commute as well like a VFR800 or F800st.
    Or to hell with the practical commuting and buying something insane and putting up with it on the commutes, or going back to commuting via the car.
    In that case I'd be looking at a big bore naked, like a bandit, B-King or Diavel.

So I guess if my bike was written off, I'd chuck a leg over the new Er-6n, try out a viffer and Beemer and then a couple of nakeds that'll rip my arms out of the sockets and go from there.
    bretto61
    Bored

bretto61 Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    what's a motorbike ???
    Way too many good bikes out there to swim in the same muddy puddle twice
    alan55

alan55 Member

Motorbike(s):
    1999 Honda ST1100ABS
    It's a no brainer........for some.

I haven't found any negatives with my current bike which it's updated sister the ST1300A has trouble competing with. Given the choice I'd have another 1999 or later Honda ST1100A or the newer ST1300A anyday.
    QuarterWit

QuarterWit Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Bonneville
    WR250R? On paper, that thing is impressive. Taking one for a test ride soon...
    powerd

powerd Member

Motorbike(s):
    Triumph Sprint GT. Replaced a beautiful red 02 Triumph Sprint ST out front! Woohoo!
    Chrome - very sad indeed to hear about the demise of your Sprint GT. I hope you are OK.

" Bikes don't like you talking about other bikes in front of them. They'll throw you off .."

Do you think this is what happened with your Sprint? You know, British bikes can get a bit, well, emotional now and then. Perhaps I got careless and talked about an FJR or GTR1400 while mine was listening too. :)

I think it is probably true that as you have had lots of experience (and perhaps a bit of age) you start to know what you want and perhaps you have also landed on a bike which really suits your needs. And yor needs don't change quickly either. These days I want a bike which will tour quite comfortably for my aging bod for 6-800kms in a day, has a sporting edge and some character and a sense of joy when you walk out to it at the start of the day - something that just makes you lust to ride it. The big Jap or BMW tourers are fantastically competent bikes, but don't stir the blood. And the Triumph does that, for a remarkable price. There is nothing that really competes, hence my choice to buy another.
    bretto61
    Bored

bretto61 Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    what's a motorbike ???
    I want Ducati to make a new ST4S. I don't want something that looks like a chook chaser. I want something that looks sporty and sleek. I want it comfy and be able to carry the Fi Fi and luggage.
    And I want it to go like stink.
    MT1
    Dead

MT1 Member

i want the japs to make a cheaper diavel allready
    Roarin

Roarin

It's called a V-Max
    stuk

stuk Member

Motorbike(s):
    Ducati ST2
    Absolootly.. I couldnt replace my ST2, cause there is no replacement aside from going into the used market. Ducati need to go back into this market segment.
    Vertical C
    Mischievious

Vertical C Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Kawasaki KLR650, Suzuki DRZ250
    Is a vmax cheaper? I thought they were like $30K
    bretto61
    Bored

bretto61 Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    what's a motorbike ???
    ST2 is a great bike in it's own right. Probably the best note at idle of all of them. Go the 944
    fennell

fennell Member

Motorbike(s):
    2004 CBR1000RR (Road), 2005 GSXR 600 (Race)
    2000 SV650 (naked) - Yes
    2006 CBR600RR - Not for road, yes as a track bike (biggest mistake ever for the road)
    2010 Street Triple - Yes
    2005 GSXR600 track spec - Yes, but only as a track bike like the CBR.
    2009 Street Triple R - HELL YES
    2011 Speed Triple - Yes
    chrome

chrome Member

Yeah I think so. I mean, logically, all my fault. Was too much throttle for the conditions. But she could have chosen to hold on for me, save my arse like she had time and time again, but this time she decided, no, I won't, he doesn't want me anymore, and I don't want him. And down I went.

I'm ok. Not even a manly bruise :(