1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

Witnessed an accident this morning.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Undertaker666, Mar 26, 2012.

Greydog
    Cynical

Greydog I'm hot on the inside... Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    07 VTR250 (sold), 12 Z1000, 06 ZZR250
    Yep Raven, know you're not having a go. Appreciate your feedback.

Have to say, it's probably the first time I've really felt helpless when the tide has turned. Usually, I can take some sort of action to address the bad situation.
    raven
    Cynical

raven You're kidding, Right!? Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    S1000rr
    Whew! Yes!...they look veeery big when they're that close, eh mate. :)
    raven
    Cynical

Motorbike(s):
    S1000rr
    Ok, good mate. :)
    It's one of the few down sides of the LAMS system. The power limit is too low.
    Often there isn't enough, and it's surprising how many times a rider uses power to escape trouble.
    Yes, it can get us into trouble more quickly as well, but I'm not advocating super sport levels of power. Just more that the current limit.
    robsalvv

robsalvv RoSPA(Dip) & MA Bronze onroad riding Coach Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    '02 ZX9R / GPX250
    Map: http://g.co/maps/p5m9s

Did this happen in the slip turning lane, so turning "down the page" in the map shot?

Was the rider fair and square in the left lane?

If yes it sounds like the truck seriously cut the corner. Why would he do that, he has the 3rd lane of the Princes he could have aimed at. That's lazy driving.

Crap response from the cops too. The margin between rider squashed and bike squashed was slim.

I think I'd have to agree with Raven. On the face of the street view of that slip lane, there should have been ample escape routes other than the horn. There's a footpath immediately to the left.

Good learning point from NK though, always position yourself so you can be seen. Truck doors often have vision panels down low - make sure you're visible through one.
    NiteKreeper

NiteKreeper must be stopped! Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Yes
    Sigh, it seems that my entire purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others...
    Greydog
    Cynical

Motorbike(s):
    Hard to say Rob re the footpath. To get to it, he might have had to move forward, which "might" have been blocked by said truck. Note that the first stop line is behind the footpath xover, which means that if the bike was there, he might not have been able to get to it without going up the curb somehow.

Anyway, all speculation - I wasn't there.
    Undertaker666

Undertaker666 Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    CF Moto
    Agree with Greydog, it's hard to say. All I know is that the position the truck was in the right turning lane to turn left, his nose was out a bit and if the rider edged out anymore, he could have easily been taken out by a car coming from the right. It happened so fast that within a split second, the rider and the bike was up against the curb. I have not had any phone calls yet, so hopefully the driver has admitted liability and the poor kid can get some insurance money to get another bike. He has a hell of a way to travel from Reservoir to Dandenong each day(hell of a ride/drive at the best of times).
    You are right Rob, the driver had the far right lane (3rd lane), but for some reason only known to him, he thought he would cut accross and drive into the other lanes.
    raven
    Cynical

Motorbike(s):
    S1000rr
    Lol...not quite that bad NK. Your little experience with the truck is just quite relevant. :)
    Set

Set Noob on a Mission Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    GT650R
    Should've said that you saw someone speeding in a vehicle above 3k/h's, they would've had the whole force there in seconds.
    QuarterWit

QuarterWit Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Bonneville
    Wha? Lots of riders use LAMS bikes - and not just learners. I feel that my DR650 has plenty of HP for avoiding trouble. Still quicker off the mark than the average car.
    raven
    Cynical

Motorbike(s):
    S1000rr
    Not everyone is, or wants to ride a DR650.
    There are plenty of other bikes that lack enough power to get someone out of trouble at certain times, or circumstances.
    kneedragon

kneedragon Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Kawasaki ZX14
    It's tough enough driving a prime mover with one trailer. I've never tried it with two. One is scary enough. People see the gap you leave to try and make it around the corner without running 2m up the inside gutter, and squishing a few kittens and pedestrians, and they drive or ride into it. What the heck did they think I was doing straddling 2 lanes with my indicator on for? Do they take the blinking light to mean "After you, kind sir?"

Drivers don't know or understand the constraints on other road users - like motorcyclists, or trucks. But many riders seem to completely fail to understand the constraints on a truck. Like what is and is not visible. Like when you find yourself funnelled down an ever shrinking list of options and you're already in breach of at least three basic road rules and will soon be in breach of about 17 others, and you just have to muddle through the best you can and try and do the least harm.

The truck driver is obviously wrong on at least two counts, a red light, and not seeing the motorcycle. Fair enough. What I don't know is what steps the motorcycle took to make sure it was seen, and what steps it took to make sure it was positioned some place the truck wasn't about to go. I'm not going to be over critical because I don't know - I wasn't there - but the account I read did raise questions for me.
    QuarterWit

QuarterWit Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Bonneville
    Very true. But I don't think riders on a Vmoto 50 are going to get more HP just because it's available.
    Holster

Holster Premium Member

On a total side note, just a tip - Don't ever sit at the back of a row of banked up traffic on the freeway (the monash to be exact - tonight).
    bradr

bradr Member

Motorbike(s):
    09 Honda CB 400
    Well helloooo , cause they will go for the revenue first , there's money involved there !, but hey we shouldn't say negative stuff , we'll get shot or electricuted Lol.
    Greydog
    Cynical

Motorbike(s):
    Quite, but sometimes I'm not in the right head space to filter.
    Holster

Holster Premium Member

If you are at the back in a situation like that ALWAYS move forward, even if its at walking pace.

I came up screaming behind you (no way I could have stopped if I had to speed / distance) and I changed lanes at the very last minute. You didn't seem to notice I was even there, I was concerned for you.
    Mahoney

Mahoney Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Husqvarna SMR449
    Just thought I'd clarify this quickly, jazzfan posted the right diagram, but it's worth repeating.

Any heavy vehicle longer than 7.5m long is legally allowed and should be expected at any moment, to turn left from a right hand lane. This is exactly the reason for those brightly coloured "DO NOT PASS TURNING VEHICLE" signs on the backs of trucks and busses.

Page 55 of the bus and truck drivers handbook
    page1.

Page 57
    page2.

Apart from running the red arrow, the truck driver fucked up on a couple of levels, one, he should have blocked the inside lane so it was bleedingly obvious that he need all the space, and two, he didn't go far enough into the corner before turning, which allows the trailer to "cut in" without using more road than required.
    Caution would have dictated that it was probably a bad place for the bike to be regardless, I've said it before and I'll say it again, STAY THE FUCK AWAY FROM TRUCKS ON THE ROAD!