1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

Sexually Rejected Flies Turn to Booze

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by cjvfr, Mar 17, 2012.

cjvfr
    Mellow

cjvfr Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    VFR800
    Sciencemag

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Jokes and Humour Valentine's Day Funny - Top 10 Rejected Valentines Day Cards Feb 14, 2007

YamahaWoman
    Happy

YamahaWoman Member

Motorbike(s):
    1998 1100 Virago
    Viscera99

Viscera99 They made me do it. Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2011 650RL, 2012 ZX-14R (dead), 2009 ZX-14, 1998 ZZR600
    Research in social interaction... ok I get that and I'm sure that there will be some beneficial spinoff for some other related research. that's all cool. but...

Who on earth makes a dedicated decision to research this stuff and who was smoking what when it was suggested (probably at 3am when everything is a good idea) 'guys, lets like, watch flies getting it on right, and then see what they eat afterwards. it'll make us, like famous dude'
    NiteKreeper

NiteKreeper must be stopped! Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Yes
    Fruit flies have been used a lot for genetic research due to their short gestation and obvious physical display of genetic traits.
    One way to get them to breed for you is to mix males and females in a jar, then gas them with (iirc) CO2 for a few seconds. When they wake up their first instinct is to mate...
    What was my point again? Oh yes...
    I reckon observations of genetic experiments have led to other tests like this one.
    AznCruiser

AznCruiser Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    ZX6R
    We just mashed them and took DNA samples in first year..........im a fruit fly mass murderer lol.