1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

[VIC] Police launch Halo as final toll announced - FEB VICPL OP

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by joetdm, Feb 1, 2012.

joetdm

joetdm Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Yamaha TDM900
    I'd think about cycle lane use for a while....

There are more tables on the web page. Removed them from the quotes below as it looked messy.

http://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/more-news/8771-police-launch-halo-as-final-toll-announced.html

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance Riding unregistered or licensed? - police launch ANPR lock-down operations May 7, 2012
    Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance [VIC, NSW, ACT] Police to launch major traffic operation Nov 22, 2007
    Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance Police Launch Covert Motorcycle Operation Feb 5, 2007
    Jokes and Humour Police launch new road safety camaign focusing on SPEED! Mar 5, 2006
    The Pub Victoria Police gets new traffic cameras Apr 15, 2014

titus
    Paranoid

titus Pestiferous Varmint Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    KTM 950SM
    What is it about cycle lane use that you want to look at?
    More significantly, what impact has it had on road trauma?
    joetdm

joetdm Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Yamaha TDM900
    Who me?
    Only reason I stated thinking about cycle lane use is because I tend to read between the lines of operational press releases and nothing to do with any opinion of mine..

In this case I read VicPol may be paying more attention to anyone using them who technically shouldn't...
    jdkarmch
    Amused

jdkarmch Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Harley Davidson 2012 Heritage Softail
    I think this line from the VicPol release explains:

That tells me that if a cop sees anyone riding their M/C in a bicycle lane - that they will fine that rider.....

I think Joe's reason for pointing it out, is because there is NO evidence to prove that riding a M/C in a designated bicycle lane is in any manner dangerous or likely to cause injury to a bicycle rider....
    • Like Like x 1
    titus
    Paranoid

Motorbike(s):
    KTM 950SM
    OK, Certainly wasn't attributing anything to you Joe, but I may have misread your comment. Agree with you and JK.

For myself, I'd rather see VP spend a bit more energy on SMIDSY than on issues that have no bearing at all on road trauma (perhaps I should tell them).
    • Like Like x 1
    MT1
    Dead

MT1 Member

the jump in pedestrian deaths just points out that drivers don't look where they are going.
    i see more and more drivers looking down in their laps.
    why?
    because they don't want to be seen using their i-phones.
    they glance the windscreen as little as they feel they need to.
    Vertical C
    Mischievious

Vertical C Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Kawasaki KLR650, Suzuki DRZ250
    I read this

as anti SMIDSY.

Not that I wouldn't love to bash the cops, but it is better than normal.
    pvda

pvda Member

Some pedestrian collisions would be the car at fault but I reckon the majority would be the pedestrain steping out into the path of a vehicle which has right of way.

I think we've all had close calls with distracted foot soldiers (IPod, phones, etc).
    minglis

minglis 0118 999 88199 9119 725 3 Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2002 CBR 600 F4i
    This worries me. I read this as them getting heavy on filtering "for our own good".
    goddie
    Amused

goddie isnt my puppy cute? Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Ninja 1000_Hornet 900_R1200C_GSX750F_XVS650_CBR600_VTR250
    agree with Minglis on both points, I have had a few close calls when 'numbnuts' walk off the footpath to carve thru traffice cause they cant be farkd walkin to ped lights, iPhone hammerin at the ears an no friggin idea about the world around them..
    The stopping of filtering is frustrating, what benefit is there in sitting behind a shit load of cars when you slowly make your way up front, leaving a vacant spot for a car that can help move traffic along?
    titus
    Paranoid

Motorbike(s):
    KTM 950SM
    Ah, I see where this is going now. This is VP getting it's own back for being made to look stupid and belligerent at the Inquiry.

The battle lines are drawn, and filtering is going to be the front line.
    • Like Like x 2
    b12mick
    Cynical

b12mick Member

Motorbike(s):
    02 Bandit 1200
    Have I missed something completely here or are you Victorians getting punished for NOT dying in great numbers.
    • Like Like x 1
    minglis

Motorbike(s):
    2002 CBR 600 F4i
    the worst part will be that it'll be sold as being for OUR safety etc... all nice and reasonable. "I have to fine you mate... it's just too dangerous for you... will someone think of the kittens!!"
    toadcat

toadcat Premium Member

Love the anti-splitting/filtering propaganda VicPol spew out right after the inquiry into it... I would like to hear their reasoning why it's fine for pushbikes to do it but not motorcycles. But hey if they can't win any debates on it or give any reasons why doesn't mean they can't just keep enforcing it anyways..
    Vertical C
    Mischievious

Vertical C Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Kawasaki KLR650, Suzuki DRZ250
    So us "risk taking" bikers are twice as smart as cagers and four times as smart as the pushies.

Hehehehe.
    • Like Like x 1
    DRMAT

DRMAT Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    CBR1000RR
    Question... on a road such as say... Glenferrie Rd Hawthorn (the open sections, not the section through the shopping precinct) you have two lanes each way, the right hand side of the left lane (ie. outside where cars park) is marked with a bicycle as a bicycle lane (but not defined by lines) but i've always been a bit confused as to if we're allowed to ride in this space because if there were no parked cars it would be a normal car lane? I ride in it anyway, just want to be sure. If all the above makes sense :)
    grue

grue The Nicest Bro Here Premium Member

I'm not sure in that EXACT case, but I asked a copper about riding in lanes partially-occupied by parked cars such as on Dandenong Rd, and he said he'd question if it's a good idea, but it's technically legal. Take it with a grain of salt, but…
    robsalvv

robsalvv -MA Bronze onroad Coach- Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    '02 ZX9R
    Finally something I can agree with. :)
  20. One hundred police per day? Still trying to justify there massive numbers.

The TAC is spending our money well.

And here it is again the quote of the year.

“Research shows that if all drivers dropped just 1km/h off their average speed we could save about 15 lives every year and avoid up to 300 serious injuries.”

Bulltish!

So many speed limits were reduced and yet the road toll is up. Why don’t the TAC, Victoria Police, VicRoads, Dept of Justice, MUARC and Redflex explain why this is so. Did they lie to us?
    minglis

Motorbike(s):
    2002 CBR 600 F4i
    quick, everyone grab hold of something. A rift was just torn in the space/time continuum.
    • Like Like x 1