1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

Not too close, but what the hell!

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by vahramh, Apr 30, 2012.

vahramh
    Twisted

vahramh Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    ER6F
    Saturday morning, about 2 AM. Riding north on Eastlink, Melbourne, at about $1.10, in the left lane (yep, not really speeding by much). There's a car about 100m ahead of me, I had been following him for a couple of km's, so he's doing a similar speed. No other traffic on the road.

All of a sudden a car with no lights appears between me and the car, with no lights on. At $1.10 that's not much of a gap, it would be dangerous at $1.00 as well, and I had to brake hard, followed by a swerve into the middle lane, to avoid hitting him. All of a sudden his lights came up, in addition to red and blue flashing lights. Looks like the cop was just out fishing, sitting in the emergency lane with lights off, and had found a good target in the car ahead of me. The car drove up the Canterbury Rd ramp and stopped, the police stopping behind him, and I kept going up Eastlink.

Being 2 AM, I could have been tired. My mind could be wandering elsewhere (especially if I was driving). I could have a limited reaction time - after all, it was less than 2 seconds between me and the cop car when it first appeared in front of me. What the hell? SMIDSY police?

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Welcome Lounge and Birthday Greetings Hello. New rider coming out of the closet.... Mar 29, 2009
    Motorcycling News The Vespa World Days Record Edition Comes To A Close At Mantua, Italy Jun 18, 2014
    The Pub [VIC] Monash Freeway closed between Kooyong Rd/Burke Rd May 22, 2014
    Hazardous Road Condition Reports VIC GOR closed next Sunday May 11, 2014
    The Pub Gingers Creek closed Apr 3, 2014

titus
    Paranoid

titus Pestiferous Varmint Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    KTM 950SM
    Sitting there eating cupcakes, is my guess.
    OzzyDevil
    Buzzed

OzzyDevil LOVES TO RIDE :) Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    SV650S
    God that shits me.. Unmarked cop cars I hate them..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    smileedude
    Drunk

smileedude 2 wheels good, 4 wheels baaaaad Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    Kawasaki ER6n
    Of course if you had hit them, according to the latest TAC ad, the accident was your fault for going a little above the speed limit.
    • Like Like x 1
    Mikey213

Mikey213 Member

Motorbike(s):
    Gs500 suzuki
    Is that even legal to be sitting there with no lights on? i.e if you had run out of petrol and pulled into the emergency lane and turned off all your lights and no hazards on you would get in trouble no?
    joetdm

joetdm Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Yamaha TDM900
    Buddy you're at fault...
    People can't give way to what they can't see and because you were more that 1 kph over the posted limit, it's deemed reasonable to conclude that you could not have expected to be sees.

Sorry, but that is a perfectly legal conclusion by authority of VicPol and TAC.

Good news, no one was delivering cup cakes because then they could have legally kill you.
    • Like Like x 4
    Rainbow7

Rainbow7 Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2009 VFR800
    "Brake"
    • Like Like x 2
    ibast
    Horny

ibast Shit Stirer Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Triumph Daytona 955i, KZ400 project
    Maybe he thought hammer time was an appropriate evasive maneuver.
    vahramh
    Twisted

vahramh Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    ER6F
    Lol... I did regret not having a hammer when I was next to the cop, just before the lights started flashing. Sorry for the typo anyway, fixed now.
    AznCruiser

AznCruiser Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    ZX6R

You should have pulled up behind the cop car and told him that he nearly caused an accident..........get his badge number and report him to the his supperiors.

Id let cops get away from the little things because im that type of guy ;).........but if he/she nearly caused an accident then my trusty GoPro should have the proof I need..........