1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

Lady new to forum from Sydney

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge and Birthday Greetings' started by dazzazturtle, Apr 23, 2012.

dazzazturtle

dazzazturtle Member

Hi I am looking to get my license and a bike, so I can ride with my husband.

I was wondering what bike would be best for a woman to learn on, and what would be the best protective gear to buy and where???

Are there any other women on this forum??

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Regards Sandra

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Showcase My red Lady Feb 9, 2014
    Hazardous Road Condition Reports Fire at Gladydale, Feb 9, 2014
    The Pub Lady Wakehurst Drive - Where do cops sit? Aug 19, 2013
    Welcome Lounge and Birthday Greetings Lady Learner Rider Vic Jul 31, 2013
    Welcome Lounge and Birthday Greetings Lady rider from Orange Jul 30, 2013

CFVFR

CFVFR Still posts the same shit Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Vstrom 650
    Welcome in?
    Sit on plenty of different bikes first.
    What does your husband ride?

Cam
    cjvfr
    Asleep

cjvfr Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    VFR800
    Hi Sandra, +1 to CFVFR what does your husband ride. Also what height are you, if you are of smaller stature then being able to flat foot on the ground when astride the bike is important. And welcome by the way :)
    Danco
    No Mood

Danco Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    GSXR1000
    Welcome to NR Sandra.

Depends on how tall you are and what you like. My previous bike was a VTR250, it's previous owner being a fairly small woman, and she managed quite well. Light bike and good to learn on also.

There's quite a few women on the forums, im sure they'll chime in soon enough with some good input.

Good luck in your search for a bike :)
    KerriD

KerriD Member

Motorbike(s):
    Honda VTR 250
    Hi Sandra. I am also fairly new to riding having only just got my P's. Look around at lots of bikes and see what feels comfortable for you. I have a Honda VTR250. The seat is fairly low so it allows me to touch the ground with a flat foot (yes, I am a shorty). It is also not really heavy so it is easy to ride and, if worst comes to worse, I can also pick it up (yes, I have dropped it couple of times!!)

Have fun learning to ride - I love it!!
    Kerri
    goddie
    Amused

goddie isnt my puppy cute? Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Ninja 1000_Hornet 900_R1200C_GSX750F_XVS650_CBR600_VTR250
    Welcome to NR Sandra, as others have said, sit on bikes, get comfortable with haveing your feet flat on the ground. Cruisers are low seating, you can get a 250 or 650 and in between [lams wise] you will need to feel 'comfortable' with the weight of the bike, mind you as you start learning, fears of weight disappear. Ask hubby for help in showing you different bikes and good luck :)
    devochka

devochka Premium Member

Howdy and welcome! My first bike was/is a VTR250 and I would highly recommend them for a first bike. Enough punch for a newbie to deal with Sydney traffic, easy to access things to learn how to maintain, and not much to break if you do drop it.

Gear wise - head to MCAs for your first batch so you can get used to what sizing you are and what you like.
    dazzazturtle

dazzazturtle Member

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

My husband has only just got his license and bought a new Yamaha V-Star 650.

I sat on it and feels heavy and intimidating at this stage... maybe intime?

I am 5'10" and more of a larger build but am certainly excited to get out there and give it a go.

I will head down to MCAS and get a feel for sizing and the gear.

I will also have a look at the VTR250 also and see how it feels.

Thanks.
    devochka

devochka Premium Member

At 5'11" I'm pretty much your height... and if we're similar builds you'll have no trouble with the VTR250. Even the bigger, heavier bikes (your partner's bike) you'll get used to and feel more confident maneuvering in time.
    Which state are you in?
    dazzazturtle

dazzazturtle Member

thanks for that devochka... im in Sydney out at Kellyville/Rouse Hill.

My husband booked my stay-up-right course for me tonight and am doing it next MON/WED and cant wait.

Would be fun to meet up with others and go for a ride.
    Tone2
    Depressed

Tone2 Warm (not hot or cool) Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Yamaha XVS1100 Classic
    I'm at Baulkham Hills and I'm on a VStar too. Be happy to work out a ride one day.

Have you looked at the thread about the Learners sessions at Homebush? 1pm on Saturday, practicing the slow speed stuff you need to know for the Ps test usually for 60-90mins, then often a group ride up through Castle Hill then out either through Annangrove, Glenorie or similar and ending up at Maccas McGraths Hill.

Maybe we should resurrect the coffee night at the Mean Fiddler that used to happen a while ago.....
    devochka

devochka Premium Member

Good suggestion! Thread is here: http://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=97506

And incase you haven't see the for sale section of the forum..there's some good VTR's for sale too... *cough cough my one* http://netrider.net.au/forums/showthread.php?t=131440#.T5UAUdlRxvE
    :angel:
    ametha elf
    Fine

ametha elf Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Yamaha Virago XV1100
    Hi Sandra, welcome to NR and its great to see another lady rider on board. I started riding 4 years ago, my first bike was a Virago (now VStar 250). Being only 5 foot 1 inch, that bike suited me perfectly AND it certainly wasn't a slug when out riding with my hubby. You are taller, so should find a wider range of bikes to suit, but I'd stick with a 250 for a while just during the initial learning curve. After 1 year and 10,000 klms on my 250 I had enough skills and confidence to upgrade to an 1100cc. Be prepared for this being the start of a whole new obsession!
    hornet
    Cheerful

hornet Moderate Moderator Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    1995 Honda VFR750
    Welcome to Netrider Sandra, you'll get plenty of good advice here :)
    KerriD

KerriD Member

Motorbike(s):
    Honda VTR 250
    I am not too far from you - at St Clair. Maybe we should go for a ride some time. If you are looking for a good place to practice go to UWS at Kingswood. I did a lot of practice there - I could practice road stuff (turns, u-turns, lights, roundabouts ...) without other traffic! Made me confident when I did hit the road!!!!!!
    Meags

Meags Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    CB400 Tricolour
    Hi Sandra, welcome to NR. This is a great forum and you'll always find helpful people when you need advice.

I'm riding a CB400 and it's a great little bike. Easy to handle on the ground and really smooth to ride. I'm 5'8" and before I bought my bike I looked at a few 650's, but with my lack of experience I felt they were too big (overall size and weight) and I needed something to gain confidence on. The Honda was the perfect bike for me. People say that you need to get a bike that suits you, but when you're starting out it's really hard to work out what's right for you as you don't have a basis for comparison. From my experience, you need to be able to get your feet on the ground flat (shouldn't be a problem with your height) and you need something light. You may find the 250's a bit cramped, but you'll need to have a sit on them to work that out.

All the best with your test and finding the gear, it's all a steep learning curve but I've found that's the fun of it - hope it's that way for you too. Cheers.