1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

[QLD] Insurance for first bike, new licensee

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by ryangus, Apr 16, 2012.

ryangus

ryangus Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2007 BMW F650GS
    I've finally got my QLD RE license after having my leraners for ~20 years! =D>

I'm insured with Shannons for my 4x4, but don't meet their (lengthy) criteria for a bike.

Any suggestions on where to go for insurance?

BTW, thinking about a BMW F650GS.

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance Insurance and Selling a Bike Mar 14, 2013
    Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance Can I get insurance for a bike registered to my fiance?? Jan 14, 2013
    Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance Thai motorbike insurance Jun 13, 2012
    General Motorcycling Discussion Dirt bike insurance Apr 14, 2012
    Modifications and Projects Project bike insurance - seeking advice Feb 16, 2012

adprom

adprom Camry Driver Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2011 Honda CB400
    Generally, QBE or Swann is teh cheapest for that criteria. QBE tends to be the cheapest - but make sure you read the PDS.

Every now and again another insurer is cheaper though.
    DJ666
    Lurking

DJ666 Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    '12 Kawasaki Ninja 650L
    During my search I myself found that AAMI was the cheapest (for a learner with a brand new 650L) and there PDS seemed pretty good (from a noob point of view someone experienced in reading those things might have found a bit more than me)

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 2
    AussieRobin

AussieRobin Member

I used QBE on my rides when newly licensed.
    NSSherlock
    No Mood

NSSherlock Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    '94 Kawasaki Zephyr ZR550 B4, Ikon Progressive Fork Springs
    Do you have a car license?
    NRMA will (in NSW anyway) consider the length of time licensed to drive a car. Not sure how that will work in Qld but worth checking.
    Tildette

Tildette Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2011 Aprilia RS 125
    Of what I looked at, Swann were my cheapest option by a lot and included years driving (not just riding). But yeah, magnifying glass to the PDSs.
    Kangala

Kangala Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Honda CBR1000RR
    Try Avea insurance. My 22 yo friend just insured his new cbr1000rr for under $1500.
    alan55

alan55 Member

Motorbike(s):
    1999 Honda ST1100ABS
    Six years ago I needed to insure my 1100. I had rating 1 on the car and most insurers I contacted would have still given me a rating 1 on the bike. I was 49 at the time so age wasn't an issue and no other rider to worry about.

Problem I had with all but one insurer was riding all year around. Some said 'no' straight up, others would but a very high premium.

The reasoning being that I was seen as a high risk compared to someone who rode only weekends or the warmer months of the year (part time riders).

Swan insurance didn't have issues with me so that's where I went. On average $35 a month for the last six years at rating 1.
    NSSherlock
    No Mood

NSSherlock Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    '94 Kawasaki Zephyr ZR550 B4, Ikon Progressive Fork Springs
    Insure My Ride will transfer your No Claim Bonus from your 4x4 to your bike. They also include time spent on L's in the total time licensed.
    Shannnons and Insure My Ride are both owned by Suncorp. I'm surprised Shannons didn't point you to Insure My Ride.

I also have a car insured with Shannons and was going to go with NRMA with one of the quotes I had. Their site wasn't working last night and I went to Insure My Ride to get a quote and found them much cheaper.
    IMR agreed value was much higher. Excess was lower. Gear and personal item cover is optional. I found personal item cover jacked the price up more and didn't include jewelry. I didn't add it but added gear cover.
    You can get an additional 5% off if you do an approved course. I think there's a discount for applying online.

Conditions with Insure My Ride (off the top of my head, might slightly vary):
    - No suspension or loss of licence in last 5 (I think) years
    - No criminal conviction for things like fraud
    - No more than 3 at fault claims in last 3 years
    - Need to be owner of bike
    • Like Like x 1
    hackavatar

hackavatar Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2010 Yamaha YZF-R1
    +1 to this. I'm 20 and got away with a 2010 R1 for $1600.

Their whole angle is offer cheap insurance to younger riders, they'll probably be a member for life.