1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

Hi and assistance welcome!

Discussion in 'Welcome Lounge and Birthday Greetings' started by McCool, Apr 23, 2012.

McCool

McCool

Hey everyone
    I am a very enthusiastic motorcycle pillion. I have a full bike licence but lack the confidence to ride again. (I used to ride in my 20's - back in the day when Adam was a boy...) Tried again when I turned 40 but it was "how long do you want to live?" so it's back to being "baggage".
    Anyway, I've been looking for a forum to help me with a project. My other dear half acquired a rather sad Honda 750G (I think thats right - its from the 70's if I'm correct). It's rather a bit bit bent in the front, bit rusted and like I said, sad.
    Said man has parked the bike outside the bedroom window and it is an eyesore so I asked if he would mind if I pulled it down. To which he replied - "Go ahead!" (there was a lot of enthusiasm there.) He knows how I love mechanical things as I helped him rebuild a guzzi 15+ years ago. Which we still ride and I love.
    So I suppose I'm being a bit sneaky here but I want him to think I am really clever although I will eventually tell him I did ask for help. So far I have removed everything off the handle bars as well as the bars, (and sent one of the suspension bolts to Mars) one front brake, part of exhaust, back suspension springy things (technical talk there), all indicators, footpeg/brake and kickstart from right side and about a million bolts (ok slight exaggeration) Now the problem is that the seat has a lock and we don't have the key. Any suggestions about how to get the lock undone or off so I can remove the seat? Thanks - any suggestions gratefully appreciated. ](*,)

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Modifications and Projects Assistance with handle-bar installation? Sep 10, 2013
    Technical and Troubleshooting Torque Electrical assistance Mar 12, 2013
    Businesses and Service Providers [vic] Roadside assistance Sep 19, 2012
    Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions DRZ400E or similar as a second bike - seeking assistance Jun 22, 2012
    Racing, Motorsports, and Track Days Track Fairings - need assistance May 23, 2012

Rennsport
    Amused

Rennsport Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    1992 BMW R100RS
    Try the ignition key (if you have one).
    cjvfr
    Mellow

cjvfr Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    VFR800
    If the ignition key doesn't work then a locksmith should be able to open it.
    hornet
    Cheerful

hornet Moderate Moderator Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    1995 Honda VFR750
    Yep, Chris is on the money; get a locksmith involved. After all, if you're rebuilding it to ride it you're going to need to get under the seat regularly anyway....
    McCool

McCool

Thanks for replies. As I said we don't have any keys so trying the ignition key is not an option.
    As far as getting a locksmith involved - there isn't much point if they can open it but we still don't have a key. So I guess I'm looking at removing the lock altogether without it being opened.
    Not sure what we are doing with it yet. Not rebuilding it - possibly using parts to build a trike (so keeping the seat lock isn't a priority.)