1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

Great ocean road

Discussion in 'Hazardous Road Condition Reports' started by nathanshnoz, Dec 5, 2009.

nathanshnoz

nathanshnoz Premium Member

Hey all,

just a heads up they had the great Victorian bike ride on during the week and
    there are bike cops EVERYWHERE! So if heading down the great ocean road this weekend take it easy if u like ur licence!

Nath

fekkinell

fekkinell Skeptic Extraordinaire Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Honda CBR929rr
    Or ride a BMW tourer so they get confused and think you're one of them. 8-[
    grue

grue The Nicest Bro Here Premium Member

Oddly, I didn't see a single cop on my ride yesterday once I got out of the city… went from St Kilda to Yarraville to Kinglake to Healesville to Marysville to St Kilda, and the only two cops I saw were between Yarraville and the highway.
    rc36

rc36 Member

Motorbike(s):
    1981 Kawasaki Superbike
    To tell you the truth, I'm a bit "over" the GOR these days. What with reduced speed limits, dozy weekend drivers, over-zealous policing and go-faster Rossi wannabes, it's not the road it used to be.

Having said that, all of the nice roads are suffering with similar problems to a lesser or greater degree.

I've always found, though, the the GOR is much better on a week day and much better west-east rather than the other way around.
    Trekka273

Trekka273 Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    BMW R1200GS
    Interested to hear about you like it more west-east then the other way. I haven't ridden it, but am planning a week long tour early in the new year that incorporates the GOR. If the general consensus is that it is better to travel west-east, I will reverse our planned route to do that. Might be a good way to allow my wife some more time on the bike and get her confidence up before travelling it as well.
    DarkHorse

DarkHorse 09 Daytona Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    True of every good riding road. One of the reasons I love having Mondays and sometimes Tuesdays as my day off. That and everything is open.
    MV
    Sunshine

MV Throttle Monkey Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    TRX850
    SHHHHH! I agree, but let's not tell everyone ;)
    stewy

stewy Premium Member

either way is a blast, heading from east i find you have better vision across the upcoming roads and makes passing easier, though now you aren't meant to cross a single white 8-[
    pvda

pvda Member

West to East puts you further away from the drop into Bass Strait.