1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

Filtering is not queue jumping. Big safety and congestion benefits flow: An opinion piece.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by robsalvv, May 8, 2012.

GreyBM

GreyBM Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    BMW R1150RS; Yamaha XJ600
    I think another issue is that when I filter up to a light, if the light turns green as I get there I gun it and take off in front of the car. I will have been filtering at a low and safe speed but then accelearte away rapidly on green. However from the cars perspective all they see is a bike suddenly in front of them making lots of noise and doing 60 kph. Since they don't look back and wouldn't see me coming at low speed I suspect many think I filtered past them at that speed, which is why they think filtering is dangerous.

Rob, I know we have argued to e.g. the parliamentary iInquiry that filtering is both safe and safer than sitting at the back of a queue, but have we showed them those studies? If the studies show what we believe, that it is safer, then it will be harder to ignore and if they do ignore we can demand to know why.

robsalvv

robsalvv -MA Bronze onroad Coach- Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    '02 ZX9R
    minglis

minglis 0118 999 88199 9119 725 3 Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2002 CBR 600 F4i
    One of the reasons I wanted a bike was to filter. I used to watch bikes and wish that was me. I never had an issue with it. I know plenty do tho.