1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

DIY 16 Cylinder Motorcycle - Andreas Georgeades

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by hackavatar, Feb 29, 2012.

hackavatar

hackavatar Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2010 Yamaha YZF-R1
    Thought you'd like this one for your early Wednesday morning procrastination - it's from the same guy who made the beautiful V12 CBX.

Still a work in progress but wow it's impressive.

http://thekneeslider.com/archives/2012/01/27/16-cylinder-h16-engine-to-power-new-motorcycle-under-construction-by-andreas-georgeades/

[​IMG]

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions 24-cylinder 2-stroke 170HP motorcycle with an HD gearbox Apr 27, 2007
    Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions Big single cylinder reliability (KTM 690Duke) Dec 10, 2013
    Technical and Troubleshooting Torque XV1100 Rear Cylinder Backfire Nov 24, 2013
    Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions 800-1000CC 4 Cylinder Bikes Oct 20, 2013
    Technical and Troubleshooting Torque Suzuki 250 Bandit running on only two cylinders Sep 18, 2013

dav

dav Member

Motorbike(s):
    I need to own more
    WOW, looking forward to hear this beast fire up.
    Ampto

Ampto Member

Motorbike(s):
    2002 VTR1000F
    I remember reading a book about historic racing featuring the BRM H16 engine. Years ahead of it time, 1.5L, 600+ bhp. Was a biatch to tune and too heavy and never saw any real success but from an engineering point of view it was amazing, and the sound!

Hope this guy has much less tuning hassles, but i see he is using one carbie per head not 16 individual ones, so that should help...
    Rip

Rip

Not sure about this one. An over complicated solution with potential that lost out to its simpler, more reliable competitors is not a unique story. It was also the era of the moto guzzi v8, another polycylindered beast that had limited success do to unreliability.

I'll be keeping an eye on this one though. The CBX V12 was a work of art, and I'd love to see a photo of the ferrari v8 powered bike he built that keeps getting referenced on the kneeslider.
    Ampto

Ampto Member

Motorbike(s):
    2002 VTR1000F
    In terms of very small components that had to be hand made and ground it was cutting edge at the time, in terms of technology or innovated new concepts probably not. These guys were trying to make a machine with component that at the time the technology in metal processing just wasn't there and they accomplished that (to a degree), thats why i meant by years ahead.

Yes it was a failure, it was overcomplicated, they probably got called lunatics, but it sure was an engineering achievement at the time and i'm sure it has inspired a lot of engineers since.
    Rip

Rip

I 'spect we're arguing semantics here. I'm not familiar with the manufacturing technique used, so 'ahead of its time' could be right in that respect.

I usually have a problem with the phrase 'ahead of its time' is that it tends to be derogatory of the technical skill of the age. The BRM was constructed using the skills of the time, and the result was the near peak of automotive engineering of its time.

On a related subject, has there ever been a successful H16+ motor? As I recall it the configuration was used a few times for aero engines (the Napier Sabre springs to mind with a H-24) but was never really reliable.
    Ampto

Ampto Member

Motorbike(s):
    2002 VTR1000F
    i think it was only really successful in aircraft, the H configuration is just a cheap way of creating a large engine where (little the guy building this engine) you can just just slap a whole bunch on smaller engines together to create a large one from recycled parts, which was useful in those "war" eras. Its really not practical in today's world.
    CFVFR

CFVFR Still posts the same shit Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Vstrom 650
    I reckon Deadman could knock one up in a few weeks!
    PatB

PatB Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Ratty Ones
    BRM built two 16 cylinder designs.

There was the V16 c1950 which was, I believe, the more successful (sort of :D), being fast as hell when it went but too unreliable initially to make much of a mark, then, when they got the reliability a bit more sorted, it overwhelmed the tyre technology of the time so it still didn't win much.

Then there was the H16 which I don't know much about 'cos it was from a later era that I didn't take much interest in. My understanding is that it was basically two V8s arranged crank to crank, but I've no idea whether it had two crankshafts or one and I've no knowledge of its competition history. I've always assumed that it was an attempt to build a three litre engine out of two 1.5s when the F1 formula went to naturally aspirated 3-litres some time in the 1960s, paving the way for Cosworth's subsequent dominance.
    hornet
    Cheerful

hornet Moderate Moderator Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    1995 Honda VFR750
    I don't care if it never runs; it just LOOKS like it should!!
    Bumblebeeman1150
    Relaxed

Bumblebeeman1150 Member

Motorbike(s):
    Honda CB1300F, a small pride of Honda C50 Cubs
    BRM H16 was a dog of a thing; all new but way too complicated for the technology of the time, and overweight. Basically two flat eights stacked one on the other and geared together, it had just one win, and not even in a BRM. It was in the back of Jim Clark's Lotus 43 in the US GP of 1966, the only win of the greatest man's second championship year. It was the first grand prix engine to be used as a stressed chassis member, paving the way for the world-beating Lotus 49 that followed in 1967, and everything else since.
    PatB

PatB Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Ratty Ones
    Ah, OK. Sounds about right. I lost interest in the history of racing car development at about the point where somebody got the drawings back to front and put the engine at the wrong end :D.