1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

clutch fix - whole kit or just plates??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ex-static, Apr 15, 2012.

ex-static

ex-static Member

Motorbike(s):
    1985 GSX750SF Katana x 2, 1999 GSX1300R Hayabusa x 2, 1996 RGV250 x 2
    just wondering if its more advisable to fix the blown clutch on my 00 cbr600f4 with a full clutch kit or if replacing just friction plates and springs will do...??

cheers

2. Similar Threads
    Forum Title Date
    Technical and Troubleshooting Torque Clutch slave cylinder seal? Jul 14, 2014
    New Riders and Riding Tips Using clutch to coast May 14, 2014
    Technical and Troubleshooting Torque Noisy clutch only when cold Apr 24, 2014
    Maintenance and Servicing VTR250 2006 Clutch replacement Apr 16, 2014
    New Riders and Riding Tips Dropped bike, broke clutch lever now what? Mar 24, 2014

spenaroo

spenaroo "The Tank Humper" Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2001 yamah yzf-r6, jianshe tiger 12, WR250F 2001
    full plate set is a clutch kit...........

dont need to replace the basket unless there is something wrong with it, which i doubt.
    and if there was it would most likely have done more damage then just the clutch
    Kernel
    Cheerful

Kernel Eaten by a Grue Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Black 2010 Suzuki DR650
    whenever people talk about doing the clutch, I tell them "just do the friction plates." and they say "nah, if I'm going to do it I might as well do the whole thing." but that's cars, slightly harder to get to the clutch lol.
    I reckon with motorcycles, just do the plates. that's all your really need to do AFAIK.
    ibast
    Horny

ibast Shit Stirer Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Triumph Daytona 955i, KZ400 project
    A workshop manual will tell you how to check the spring plate.

Of course that's a pain if you find one that needs replacing and it's 3 weeks wait.

Unless it's really big ks, I'd probably just go the friction plates.
    Dazzler

Dazzler I like great coffee and Ducati's, am I normal? Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Ducati ST3sABS
    Usually a set of friction plates and springs is all that's needed. If the clutch has been real hot though, the clutch plates may be warped too. I have personally decided to replace the lot previously for a better job and peace of mind. Look for scoring on the basket itself caused by the plates and replace it if necessary.