1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

[VIC] Blitz on Eastern Freeway this morning (Wed 29th)

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by TonyE, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Offline

Chef

Chef Hool again Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    your mommas
    Well that's the show isn't it? Showing cagers that we can not get away with bending the law.

Imagine those cagers sitting in their stink thinking to themselves "good, serves them right because......(<insert ignorant prejudice here>)....."

Targeting riders is as much about getting drivers to comply as riders. The message they're sending is no-one is exempt. 100% compliance.

Here's the thing though and this is where the lolz are at, the principle is 100% compliance 100% of the time.......but they don't have the resources and cannot police us 100% of the time. Seeing the problem?

Sporadic blitzes wont achieve what they're trying to accomplish. Riders cannot be controlled through enforcement, they're going to have to come up with some thing far more sophisticated.
  2. Offline

titus
    Paranoid

titus Pestiferous Varmint Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    KTM 950SM
    Been thinking about this for a couple of days, and definitely seeing the truth of it now.
    Now let me drop a couple of leading questions in: who are 'they' ?, and what alternative will 'they' have, if the enforcement doesn't work?

(When I work out some answers for myself, I'll run 'em by).
  3. Offline

grue

grue The Nicest Bro Here Premium Member

Just remember:

They do not care about you as a person.

They do not care about your health/life in direct terms.

They do not care about your personal choices.

They want to avoid spending the money they steal from you, or at least they don't want to spend it ON you.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Offline

Chef

Motorbike(s):
    your mommas
    Dunno about the first one, but the serpent with the seven heads comes to mind.

The second one i could list some things I can see potentially being implemented but I'd come off sounding like a nutter if I did. At the moment they keep coming up with the statistics that backs their claims their MO is working, so they'll be continuing with it for the time being.

We were pretty chuffed with ourselves with how Operation Halo went in the first three weeks, but I'm tipping this last week on the Eastern put a tarnish on our angelic image.

Start local, then national, then global. It's interesting to see similar kinds of targeting operations used around the world. Victoria didn't dream this up, we're just copying others.
  5. Offline

Chef

Motorbike(s):
    your mommas
    That's true. The overall condition the road is kept in is clear evidence they're happy to take but not to give. I went through the hills over the past few days and the storms highlighted the crappy road surface.

Vicroads would rather put up a sign that says 'rough surface' than spend the money required to fix the rough surface. Once you start looking at their responsibilities and fulfillment the ledger becomes very one sided.
  6. Offline

titus
    Paranoid

Motorbike(s):
    KTM 950SM
    For the sake of perspective, there was a gathering of cyclists (part of Super Tuesday) in Fitzroy this morning, that morphed in to a sporadic protest about being 'targeted' by the police during Operation Halo.

Motorcyclists, apparently, aren't the only naturally non-compliant road users.
  7. Offline

robsalvv

robsalvv RoSPA(Dip) & MA Bronze onroad riding Coach Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    '02 ZX9R / GPX250
    It's no surprise that cyclists aren't entirely compliant road users... it's for the same reason that motorcyclists aren't entirely compliant road users - the road rules are built around cars and heavy vehicles. The rules do however grant more exceptions and rights around the unique and special characteristics of bicycles - something I pointed out to the National Transport Commission - so cyclists have it relatively much better than MC riders.
  8. Offline

Chef

Motorbike(s):
    your mommas
    Fascinating. Cyclists are more of a threat when it comes to protesting than us, when they organise themselves they CAN shut down a city.

To add a bit more perspective, remember that cars have been the subjects of targets in the past too. There's no more doof doof music pumping out of cages, and the best one was the ill fated tinted window scandal that Niel Mitchell got caught up in to name a couple.

4WDs get their share of Vicpol, Vicroads, EPA, Sheriff, and Fish 'n' Wildlife attention too.
  9. Offline

Chef

Motorbike(s):
    your mommas
    This...

http://www.mooneevalleyweekly.com.a...-cop-a-spray-over-capsicum-rules/2421468.aspx

I posted elsewhere but it is a right of Australian citizens to passively resist and excessive force must not be used.
  10. Offline

Captain_Slow
    Confused

Captain_Slow Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2010 Yamaha FZ1S
    Police this morning on the Eastern Fwy inbound around Chandler Hwy. I saw a standard marked car, highway patrol car and a copper on a bike. They had car-driving customers when I passed them.
  11. Offline

theterrier

theterrier Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    BMW F700GS Grey, Honda CB400 (for sale) Red/Black
    Just highway patrol only this morning it seemed - that was at 6:45(ish)
  12. Offline

Captain_Slow
    Confused

Captain_Slow Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2010 Yamaha FZ1S
    While riding down the bus lane on Hoddle St, I passed a fully marked motorcycle cop standing on the side of the road around Collingwood Town Hall.
    Seen him there a few times.
    I hope he's picking up more car customers than bike customers.
  13. Offline

Roddo67
    Curious

Roddo67 Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Honda CB400, cb600f hornet 2008
    Blitz all over the place it seems. Got done for 'passing on the left; not indicating' on the Monash inbound last Monday (5/3) - traffic was bumper to bumper and crawling- as usual (the reason I got a bike in the first place). Unmarked Blue BMW 1200. Have seen several other marked bikes patrolling and pulling up people on the way to work.
    Now how can I trust any bike coming up behind me?! Crap- I'm sure I'll whack into the back of someone looking in the mirror for that evil headlight!
    Cheers! stay safe
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Offline

robsalvv

robsalvv RoSPA(Dip) & MA Bronze onroad riding Coach Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    '02 ZX9R / GPX250
    Know anyone willing to donate time for some legalese? We need to get filtering legitimized - this operation has been about victimization.

- - -
    Tapatalking loud, saying somethin'
    • Like Like x 4
  15. Offline

adprom

adprom Camry Driver Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2011 Honda CB400
    Interesting... Monash and eastern. Seems to be predominantly on freeways. I know the police have come out before and essentially said they don't tolerate filtering on freeways at all.

Given the freeway in peak hour is packed - would trips be just as quick using alternative routes and leveraging the benefits of being on a bike?
  16. Offline

Jem
    Cheerful

Jem Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2013 Aprillia Shiver ABS
    Hey adprom,

Good point; I come down another road instead of the Eastern, couple of reasons; one I am still learning and frankly do not need the idiots on it but secondly I have not seen any police on this road in the last 4 weeks and I can be doing the speed limit the whole time.
    Not quite up to filtering yet either but when I am I reckon that will knock another 5 to 10minutes of the trip.

Cheers Jeremy
  17. Offline

titus
    Paranoid

Motorbike(s):
    KTM 950SM
    I don't split on freeways precisely because of this zero tolerance approach. I actually think the arterials are a better choice for me anyway.

The thing that differentiates freeways/tollways with other roads is that there is no official stopping (no lights or stop signs). Of course traffic does stop, and while any competent rider can merge back into traffic, it's difficult to write legislation that covers it adequately. I don't believe any change to the law is going to be success in including freeways. Unfortunately.
  18. Offline

Sir Ride Alot

Sir Ride Alot

Talk about extremism at its very best. Every single police operation against motorcycles ends up confirming motorcyclists are the best road users and it just gets under their skin. They keep on harassing law abiding people in an effort to get some statistics to say motorcycles are bad but they always fail.

The Road Safety Committee would do the community a great service by helping to end this poor behaviour.
    • Like Like x 2