1. Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

You appear to be browsing Netrider.net.au as a guest user. Did you know that if you sign up with an account, you get access to all kinds of additional privileges, and are then able to join the discussions? You will also be able to tap into the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Already a member? Login Now

Almost killed by Safety Camera

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by ibast, May 8, 2012.

1. Offline

spenaroo

spenaroo "The Tank Humper" Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    2001 yamah yzf-r6, jianshe tiger 12, WR250F 2001
    sadly my instinct is to break, sometimes hard....
    i got t bones going through an intersection by a driver turning right. who tried to tell me (through her duaghter as she didnt speak english) my light was red, and she had an arrow. and i was speeding.... it was pissing down with rain and i was 17yr old (P plate) driver..... she then submitted to insurance that the crash happend on another road, in a different suburb (keep in mind that both cars were towed, all 3 emergency services were in attendance, including an ambulance trip for my 8yr old sister i was taking home from school - and the police report case file was written on my paperwork)

third party insurance paid for my damage,
    a few months later the excess was returned by my insurance after they took it to court. and nothing but a statutory warning came in the mail from the police

but it left me with a fear of amber lights and a knowledge that there are crap drivers out there.

the head on with the rodeo towing the hyundai excel with a rope..... well that was my fault, and also in the wet. maybe theres a good reason i dont ride in the wet apart from discomfort.

p.s. all incedents were in a car.
  2. Offline

DrewBytes

DrewBytes Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Yamaha FJR1300A
    True. Regardless of whether the lights had a camera or not the OP should have stopped for the light. The guy in the truck would probably have done the same thing if it was a red light or a car, he wasn't paying attention which has nothing to do with the lights or the camera.

Red light cameras are a true safety feature. If you'd attended as many accidents as I have from knobs running lights you'd maybe understand.
  3. Offline

Ljiljan
    Inpain

Ljiljan girls name Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    1098R, MV F4, Bimota DB8
    @spenaroo: that's an epic tale mate, glad everything is more or less ok now. Breaking is hard.
  4. Offline

UDLOSE

UDLOSE Premium Member

I honestly think safety cams increase safety - speeding through intersections is dangerous, these cameras force everyone to slow down before entering the intersection. If you slow down to the limit just prior to the intersection and the light turns amber you will make it through without a ticket every time. I think they have the timings spot on. I was extremely skeptical about them at first and but have now been driving with them for a couple of years and never had an issue or witnessed one. I don't like that they're popping up everywhere though but putting them genuinely dangerous intersections with a high amount of crashes seems fair.

There are circumstances when you have no choice but to break the law to avoid a crash but I guess you have to trust the legal system.. I don't have alot of faith in it and I wouldn't want to be taking it to court.
  5. Offline

robsalvv

robsalvv RoSPA(Dip) & MA Bronze onroad riding Coach Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    '02 ZX9R / GPX250
    Cameras at intersections are a good idea. Intersections are known peak accident locations.

Camera's enforcing the flawed Adelaide 5km/h over the limit doubles your accident risk bullshit... THAT I have a problem with.

Brmmm, you accelerate through yellows as a matter of habit? :? So you approach every stale green light with the intent of riding through? You are starting to sound like an accident looking for an opportunity.
  6. Offline

ibast
    Horny

ibast Shit Stirer Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Triumph Daytona 955i, KZ400 project
    Tell me about it. I'm beginning to doubt whether I should be riding in the traffic as much as I do.

I did promise the missus I'd get a car for rainy days after last years accident. Still haven't found it yet.
  7. Offline

ibast
    Horny

Motorbike(s):
    What's the division on these between people running the light a bit late vs people that completely missed it?
  8. Offline

DamoSV650

DamoSV650 Member

Motorbike(s):
    SV650

In all fairness, accelerating through is by far the safest action, providing that'll take you through the intersection before it goes red.
  9. Online

titus
    Paranoid

titus Pestiferous Varmint Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    KTM 950SM
    Wish it were that simple, but I'm not convinced.

When red light cameras were installed I didn't object, and I was silent when they incorporated speed with the red light function. It's easy enough to see that the danger from red and amber light runners.

Unfortunately, a lot of drivers still run the amber and red. That's led to a different type of risk factor - noncompliant drivers colliding with those who ARE complying - usually rear-enders. Less serious if you're in a car than on a bike, but that's the way the authorities think.

This is where rigid, automated penalty systems are working against the safest outcome.
  10. Offline

DamoSV650

DamoSV650 Member

Motorbike(s):
    SV650
    This is where they lost my support

For exactly this reason:
  11. Offline

Myke

Myke Member

Glad you're safe. Was the camera infront or behind you? Would have hoped the truck might have blocked the view of the camera and front camera shots are pointless against bikes?
  12. Offline

ibast
    Horny

Motorbike(s):
    From the rear and the truck went left, so he may have shielded me.

After initially getting out of the way I did sort of hang around in the intersection in shock (talking partial seconds here), whilst the truck was still barreling on, so the camera may have got me at that point.
  13. Offline

DrewBytes

DrewBytes Premium Member

Motorbike(s):
    Yamaha FJR1300A
    The law states that you have to stop for an amber light if it is safe to to do. Personally if I see someone accelerate through an amber I'll give them a ticket as it shows intent when they could have braked instead. Of course you can't always stop for an amber, it depends on the speed limit, road conditions and how far from the line you are when it turns amber. It is a bit of a grey area and open to individual interpretation.
  14. Offline

ibast
    Horny

Motorbike(s):

Not really my question.

Of the accidents that do occur at red lights how many are caused by people pushing the amber vs those that just didn't see the red?
  15. Offline

Myke

Myke Member

Well, in that case the photo should surely show a huge truck next to you at the intersection. Definitely enough to put for a sensible case I would have thought.

Just a royal PITA
  16. Offline

ibast
    Horny

Motorbike(s):
    Oh I'm confident it's defendable. In fact even if I get caught up in the automated system I should be able to get it withdrawn with a letter, because the truck will be in the picture.

I'm not too worried but there is a chance the infringement processor is a hard-arse and then I have the hassle of court. Then I may strike a magistrate that doesn't like motorcycles.

Still all of that aligning will be very unlucky. Chances are, even if they can see my number plate, a half intelligent processor will be able to see what happened.
  17. Online

titus
    Paranoid

titus Pestiferous Varmint Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    KTM 950SM
    This is the classic example: approaching a stale green, with an oncoming right-turner already in the intersection. Amber comes on when you are too close to stop before the line; the right turner doesn't wait, and moves to complete his turn. I've lost count of the number of time I've been forced to accelerate within the intersection because right-turners move as soon as the amber appears, regardless of who is in their path.

Accelerating from way back, just because you don't want to stop, is a different story.

Camera doesn't care what your story is.
  18. Offline

ibast
    Horny

Motorbike(s):
    and this is my problem with it and the premise that acceleration = intent.

In my case a quick blip of the throttle would have seen me through the intersection well before the light went red and the speed would not have been dangerous.

It would definitely been less dangerous than braking.
  19. Offline

Ljiljan
    Inpain

Ljiljan girls name Moderator

Motorbike(s):
    1098R, MV F4, Bimota DB8
    PT. You know you want to.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
  20. Offline

ibast
    Horny

Motorbike(s):
    Public transport wasn't as bad as I thought. If I lived closer to a station and it wasn't 4 train swaps I would do it.

Good perv too.